The Dark Mod Forums

Thief Gold Campaign: The Black Parade

nbohr1more

43 minutes ago, jaxa said:

Now that we're deep into the NewDark era, is there any actual difference between installing over TDP/TG or TMA?

Just assets. If you add TG assets to TDP or TMA you should be able to run this mission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

there's some real impressive scripting and custom animation on display. they definitely took cues trying to push NPC behaviour closer to TDM. i've seen several areas where guards would stop and sit down for a moment then get back up and resume patrol, or a man is digging in the streets, a priest picks up and starts drinking a wine bottle, etc etc. first mission even has a fully new animal walking around. to say nothing of the quality and scope of the levels themselves thus far too. the second one already managed to really wow me in a way that recaptures a particular famous map of the base game.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chakkman said:

I just found out that this is by the guy who did level design for Dishonored (for the Flooded District levels, I think?), which raised my interest level from low to very high. :) Never really played FMs on Thief Gold or Thief 2, so, I'll have to check out how it works again...

What about Dishonored 2? Or did he leave before then?

6 hours ago, chakkman said:

I just found out that this is by the guy who did level design for Dishonored (for the Flooded District levels, I think?), which raised my interest level from low to very high. :) Never really played FMs on Thief Gold or Thief 2, so, I'll have to check out how it works again...

Correction: skacky did not work on Dishonored or Dishonored 2.

Edited by marbleman
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, I confused the TTLG users then.

I'm about 2/3 of the first mission of this campaign. It's great, fantastic level design. Difficulty is nice, not too hard. Haven't encountered any bugs thus far, although the ability to roll back banners seem a bit glitchy. I guess you have to approach them from a specific angle (to the right of the banner).

Overall, really impressive. I have only ever played 2 or 3 Thief 2 fan missions, and, they weren't nearly on this level.

• Like 1

I can't get it to work :(

Can anyone help?

I followed Easymodes install tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpmmlBY7TRs&t=416s

But everytime I click on Thief I get this error

Screenshot(383).png.a362ca9d4863be03f9b0db6604a13c90.png

I downloaded and installed 7zip but it hasn't made any difference.

ISSUE SOLVED

I reinstalled Thief Gold this time purchasing an actual legit copy from GOG instead of trying to use the copy of the game I downloaded off some website, anyway that fixed the issue and it works great.

Edited by Apache Fiero

Is that Thief Gold or Thief 2?

Make sure you do the following: Install Thief Gold. Start Thief Gold one time, if you have it on Steam, so that it creates/updates the install.cfg. Install TFix (preferrably the Lite version, as, obviously, some mods don't play well with the full TFix with mods). Set up Thief after that, resolution, control scheme etc. Then open the cam_mod.ini in the Thief Gold root directory, and remove the ";" before "fm" in the "always start the FM Selector (if one is present)" section. Next time you start Thief Gold, it should show you the FMsel loader (and, hopefully that error message is gone), which lets you load the FM.

Edited by chakkman
  • Thanks 2

skacky was hired by Arkane Lyon the past year. prior to that he also worked on Wrath under 3D Realms, surely channelling his Quake roots.

Digital Nightfall however has been working under Arkane for some time longer and confirmed to do level design for Dishonoured 2 minimum. she was a pretty major figurehead in the earliest days of Thief mapping. not at all involved in Black Parade or anything else in a long time though.

Edited by irg
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Very impressive work, and I can't even imagine the workload to be done (readables, dialogs, monologs, briefings, new idle animations, etc.) apart from the not exactly easy mapping with DromEd (or however that's spelled).

If someone had told me that they had been working just on Mission 2 for seven years, I would have believed it immediately. You can tell that the convoluted design of the original game was used as a reference, and  I personally find it even more complex. It took me almost three hours to complete mission 2 on Expert.

I'm now in mission 3 and everything is quite bright there...thankfully the Thief AI isn't that demanding...in the Dark Mod such an enlightened mission would be very "challenging" (to say the least) and would cause quite a few nervous breakdowns! :)

14 minutes ago, JackFarmer said:

Very impressive work, and I can't even imagine the workload to be done (readables, dialogs, monologs, briefings, new idle animations, etc.) apart from the not exactly easy mapping with DromEd (or however that's spelled).

If someone had told me that they had been working just on Mission 2 for seven years, I would have believed it immediately. You can tell that the convoluted design of the original game was used as a reference, and  I personally find it even more complex. It took me almost three hours to complete mission 2 on Expert.

It totally is more complex than the original missions. Actually, a bit too complex to my liking... it's manageable, but, if every mission is that gigantic, it kinda defeats the focused gameplay, and breaks the rhythm a bit.

You also have to remember a hundred things if the missions are that large. I've recently started to use the Steam in-game notes taking function.

Edited by chakkman

I haven't played any Thief mods before or even looked at the game since probably 2000. Going back to the old Thief graphics was a bit of a turnoff at first, but the gameplay more than makes up for it.

Wow, this mod is massive. I'm over 20 hours in and just started The Jaws of Darkness (mission 8 of 10). Really enjoyable so far, great maps. It can get pretty intense at times, but in a good way. I ran into a couple of frustrating places where I couldn't find the objective and resorted to google (that sprawling mansion early on was easy to get lost in). Overall, very fun though.