The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Hey guys, I can't seem to find the cvar that will let me see all the areas that the AAS has generated in-game. _impulse 27 isn't in (anymore, I suppose) and aas_showAreas doesn't work (as most of the aas_ cvars for that matter). The only thing that's worked for me is tdm_ai_showAASarea, but that only shows the nav area under the one AI I've put in for testing.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

I had one more myself, which I'll likely be using in the future: How do I cause an event to change alliances... turning previously friendly AI's against the player once he completes an objective, or contrarily making hostile AI's join the player? Can the "team" key be changed by a trigger, or perhaps alliances between teams modified by another entity?

While at it I had a similar question: How can an event alert all AI's on the map? A Score to Settle does this, when a guard yells to raise the alarm and virtually every NPC starts running around the map looking for you... I'm not going to open the map however, because finding entities in big complex levels without knowing where to look rarely seems to work for me.

I had one more myself, which I'll likely be using in the future: How do I cause an event to change alliances... turning previously friendly AI's against the player once he completes an objective, or contrarily making hostile AI's join the player? Can the "team" key be changed by a trigger, or perhaps alliances between teams modified by another entity?

While at it I had a similar question: How can an event alert all AI's on the map? A Score to Settle does this, when a guard yells to raise the alarm and virtually every NPC starts running around the map looking for you... I'm not going to open the map however, because finding entities in big complex levels without knowing where to look rarely seems to work for me.

1. atdm:target_setteam and atdm:target_setrelations

2. I guess you could use an alarm that's silent to the player. There may be better / other ways.

Welcome!

Add this line to Darkmod.cfg:

bind "b" "_impulse27"
If you've bound something else to the B key, pick a key you're not using.

Thanks for the warm welcome, been lurking for the last couple of days and that. :smile:

I tried both binding it and inputting it directly in the console, but when I put it in the cfg it worked straight away, thanks!

edit: I just realized my problem was I was consistently typing "_impulse27" as "_impulse 27" :rolleyes: I've been so used to the Source engine impulse syntax that my eyes were plain refusing to see it right, over and over, hah.

Edited by Spooks

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

1. atdm:target_setteam and atdm:target_setrelations

2. I guess you could use an alarm that's silent to the player. There may be better / other ways.

Thanks! The first one is pleasantly easy. As for the second, I do think I'll want to use a noisy alarm... but if there's an easily configurable entity for that it should be as simple.

So I've gotten to the point in my mission where I'm setting up some of the AI's. I want the map to contain friendly AI's, a group of enemies, and another group of enemies also against the second group. I set the friendlies to team 0 and the enemies to 1 and 2. Problem is that although 1 and 2 are both against the player, they aren't against each other as well!

I already tried to use an atdm:target_setrelations to which I gave the keys: "rel 0,2" "-1" and "rel 1,2" "-1". But that doesn't make them fight either. What am I missing?

What if you use an atdm:team_relations entity? According to http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=AI_Relations_(Editing)atdm:target_setrelations is for changing relations after map start, when you trigger it.

By the way, the team relations you describe aren't reciprocal.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Aha! I didn't know about the default teams. I set them to what they're meant to be using that chart, and now they behave as expected without needing the entity. Thanks :)

Still, why is my atdm:target_setrelations failing in the example above? I'm going to use it in future missions, so I would like to know please.

How are you triggering it?

I took the entity off after I discovered the predefined team charts, but I remember I targeted it like every other triggered entity. I discovered something else on the wiki page however: I should be setting the relationships both ways... so not just "rel 1,0" "1" but also "rel 0,1" "1". I'll keep that in mind for when I'll be using this to change the relations in realtime, and get back to it then if it still occurs.

Something that's been bugging me for a while is that some patch func_statics like roof beams get rendered although I'm in a different visleaf.

For example, r_showtris or giving the walls a caulk texture shows that even though I'm standing outside the house, a lot of the beams inside the house are being rendered. (Visportals all closed)

Did anyone else have their architectural patch func_statics leak into other visleafs - and did anyone find a way to stop it?

Things I've tried so far are to:

- make sure all verts are within the room or flat on the wall

- make sure the func_static origin is inside the visleaf

- make sure no visportals cut the func_static

These don't seem to make any difference though.

Something that's been bugging me for a while is that some patch func_statics like roof beams get rendered although I'm in a different visleaf.

For example, r_showtris or giving the walls a caulk texture shows that even though I'm standing outside the house, a lot of the beams inside the house are being rendered. (Visportals all closed)

Did anyone else have their architectural patch func_statics leak into other visleafs - and did anyone find a way to stop it?

Yes I've noticed that happen from time to time.

- make sure all verts are within the room or flat on the wall

The flat-on-the-wall thing might be the problem. I've noticed the engine sometimes uses a margin of error -- an epsilon -- when deciding whether surfaces touch or cross. During dmapping for example, 0.1 units is used. Surfaces less than 0.1 apart are considered to be both touching and crossing. That's probably why DR's minimum grid size is 0.125. Any smaller, and surfaces separated by one min grid unit would get merged during dmap. If the same logic applies in the renderer, then an FS touching a wall could be treated as crossing it.

It might be something entirely different of course. Does anyone have an easy-to-recreate example that I could test? Like a specific model that when placed against a wall ends up being rendered from outside the room?

• Like 1

The flat-on-the-wall thing might be the problem.

That makes sense - I haven't seen any patch func_statics leak when they were well inside the room, touching no walls.

If I had my mapping tools to hand now instead of in a couple days I could send you a large selection of problematic beams & co from my WIP.

I'd set up the testmap as two rooms separated by a caulk wall with a door, the player on one side and the func_statics on the other.

Edited by Dragofer

Just one example would do...

NB Thinking about it again, I might be on the wrong track here. Walls have thickness, so an FS touching the inside of a wall shouldn't be considered to be in a neighbouring visleaf. Typically, the "insides" of walls are not part of your map at all, they are in the void. As long as you don't build your map inside a big box, that is. If you have a surrounding box, then nothing is "void" and it screws up the renderer's optimizations.

the caulk texture lets light through, it will seal an area but you can see through it, eg if you have a predefined skybox, and have some parts with the skyportal texture and some caulk, caulk acts the same way as the skyportal texture and the sky will render on the caulk when in game. if you don't have a skybox defined the the caulk in game will show the void, and parts of your map that you wouldn't want players to see.

Edited by stumpy

the caulk texture lets light through, it will seal an area but you can see through it, eg if you have a predefined skybox, and have some parts with the skyportal texture and some caulk, caulk acts the same way as the skyportal texture and the sky will render on the caulk when in game. if you don't have a skybox defined the the caulk in game will show the void, and parts of your map that you wouldn't want players to see.

Yes, the caulk wouldn't be good to use like this in a real map. I'd use it in this testmap though because that effect lets you see if certain objects are being rendered even though their visleaf is closed. If anything it saves having to type r_showtris.

Hi all,

Having a bit of difficulty with "atdm:readable_immobile_sign_small01". I know I'm supposed to add "gui_parm1" to it, but I can' find this spawnarg listed. Is it present in Darkradiant 2.0.1?

I want a door to be automatically open. I tried auto_open_time, since it's not near the player's starting position, but that gives me two problems:

* When I close it, it opens again after the specified time.

* When I put frobable to 0 (not preferred anyway - I want to be able to close it) somehow there seems to be something blocking my path near the door.

Is there a possibility to make auto_open_time activate just once?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Because I'm too stupid to think straightforward. Thanks!

I have another one. Is there a simple algorithmic way to achieve this: when I frob something (like loot, for example), another entity should change its state somehow (like an animal starting a patrol).

Also, I'd like to have an animal that continuously "talks", but not anymore after it dies. s_looping doesn't seem to work, as it keeps going when it dies. Is there a way to change the sound shader of "talks"?

Edited by Nico A.