The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

terrain is model or patch ? grass is animated ?

I made the whole map in Blender. In Radiant I only put it all together, monsterclipped, etc. Half of the grass is animated and half is static. We can't use LOD with animated md5mesh so I had to use static grass with LOD too.

what about fps?

FPS is as one can imagine quite low. I have: Athlon 7550 (2.51 GHz), 3 GB RAM DDR2 and Radeon HD4800 1GB. In 1280 x 1024, with antialiasing 4x, anisotropic 8x, ambient, interaction and post processing all maxed, standing in that place from the screenshot from the first post I have about 32 FPS. That's in the middle of the map where only half of the place is visible at once. Worst performance is on one end of the map where the whole place is visible - about 22 FPS. When you look at the sky or the wall FPS jumps to 60. When I turn off antialiasing there's an up to 5 frames per second gain with almost no loss of quality (that is mountains and grass look just as good).

Another screenshot:

post-2001-131110562829_thumb.jpg

It's only a model...

I made the whole map in Blender.

today i played a Gothic 3 and you map looks kinda better :) d3 engine requires BPS geometry to visportalize ect... only optimization tip is cut map in more separate parts,surround it with portal sky and visportalize it

with antialiasing 4x, anisotropic 8x,

v-sync is slowing game too

Another screenshot:

holy cow !

Proceed with caution!

Definitely. Arcturus, can you make that screenshot in your native res and post it? I'd like to have it as a background image.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I made the whole map in Blender. In Radiant I only put it all together, monsterclipped, etc. Half of the grass is animated and half is static. We can't use LOD with animated md5mesh so I had to use static grass with LOD too.

FPS is as one can imagine quite low. I have: Athlon 7550 (2.51 GHz), 3 GB RAM DDR2 and Radeon HD4800 1GB. In 1280 x 1024, with antialiasing 4x, anisotropic 8x, ambient, interaction and post processing all maxed, standing in that place from the screenshot from the first post I have about 32 FPS. That's in the middle of the map where only half of the place is visible at once. Worst performance is on one end of the map where the whole place is visible - about 22 FPS. When you look at the sky or the wall FPS jumps to 60. When I turn off antialiasing there's an up to 5 frames per second gain with almost no loss of quality (that is mountains and grass look just as good).

Another screenshot:

post-2001-131110562829_thumb.jpg

Amazing shot, do me a favor though, open the console and type in:

bind F11 screenshot 1920 1080 128

Then press F11 in the same spot then post the screenshot here.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

FPS is as one can imagine quite low.

Something that was accidentaly done in the 1.06 update is the wrong settings in the default doomconfig.config file. These have had the effect of lowering and the fps, so change the following settings to as follows in your doomconfig.config etc.

image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"

image_useNormalCompression "2"

image_useAllFormats "1"

image_useCompression "1"

image_preload "1

bind F11 screenshot 1920 1080 128

Then press F11 in the same spot then post the screenshot here.

I'm sorry, but half of the screenshot renders black.

image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"

image_useNormalCompression "2"

image_useAllFormats "1"

image_useCompression "1"

image_preload "1

I had normalmap compression set to 0. Changing to "2" gave maybe 0,5 FPS difference, if any.

It's only a model...

I'm sorry, but half of the screenshot renders black.

That's more than likely because you are running a 4:3 ratio with 1280x1024 so Doom3 tries to render out to 1920x1080 but the buffer only has enough data for 4:3 ratio. Oh well, was hoping for much higher resolution.

How about:

bind F11 screenshot 1280 1024 128

His screenshots are horribly aliased, would like to see it with some high AA. And mutlisampling is Anti-Aliasing so I'm not sure what you are talking about :huh:

Now whether or not Doom3's AA command will sample the grass I'm not sure, but it will only take him 2 seconds to try. And if he doesn't want to do it then I won't complain :)

Doom 3 won't.

He would need to use a TSAA mode in his driver and use the OS Print Screen \ System Request key (then Paste into an image editor) rather than a Doom 3 native one.

Actually, if you wanna get crazy about this, Sikkpin created a Post-Process AA shader that might help but would make the interaction shader that much heavier. You could add a "Bullshot Mode" to the available interaction shaders which would only be used for creating promotional screens :laugh:

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Nevermind. I'm stupid. :rolleyes:

I never realized that Carmack also implemented screen "shake" when sampling screenshots. That would, indeed, anti-alias.

What's happening is not "antialiasing" (in the terms of the video options menu), because it is not supersampling or grabbing fragments. It is really the 7.8125% mixing of 128 individual screenshots (like the blurry blurry photograph you get when the camera shutter is left open too long).

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

**CARP DETECTED**

>:-(

Unleash the magma!

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling