The Dark Mod Forums

Beta testing new Main Menu GUI

Known general issues:

1. When clicking "Restart" in settings, the game does not land back to the same settings.
  2. In mission failed screen, the list of objectives does not show status of objectives properly.

Missions to be checked and fixed:

A) Overriding some mainmenu_*.gui which should not be overriden:

• ac1 (post)
  • ac2
  • bcd
  • bathhouse
  • briarwood_manor
  • claw1_31
  • cauldron_v2_2 (post) --- changes accepted by @kingsal
  • elixir
  • gatehouse1_3
  • good
  • hhi
  • hhta
  • hhvf
  • hhtlc
  • itb
  • lich_queens_demise
  • northdale1
  • northdale2
  • nowandthen
  • painterswife
  • snowed_inn
  • springcleaning
  • talbot
  • ulysses_genesis
  • u2_flock
  • volta1_3

B| Videos controlled by SDK (both briefing and debriefing):

C) Custom title:

• Like 3
On 6/6/2021 at 9:32 AM, stgatilov said:

C) Custom title:

• hareinthesnare
  • marshofrahena

Just a thought: Wouldn't it be better for readability if the words in the name are seperated with unserscores? So for example marsh_of_rahena . Is there a naming rule for the mission folder, or is this completely up to the modder?

Another thing: I think it would be nice if there is also a config file where in the player can do modifications to the gui of their own installation. I'm talking about things that don't intervene (too much) with mission specific modifications, like font size or background transparency. For example, personally I have changed a core file to change transparency of install_splash.tga from 0.2 to 0.3 .

30 minutes ago, datiswous said:

Just a thought: Wouldn't it be better for readability if the words in the name are seperated with unserscores? So for example marsh_of_rahena . Is there a naming rule for the mission folder, or is this completely up to the modder?

This is so-called "internal name", it matches the name of the subdirectory in fms directory.
I'm writing it because it is the easiest for me to obtain with search scripts.

Another thing: I think it would be nice if there is also a config file where in the player can do modifications to the gui of their own installation. I'm talking about things that don't intervene (too much) with mission specific modifications, like font size or background transparency. For example, personally I have changed a core file to change transparency of install_splash.tga from 0.2 to 0.3 .

Hah!
There are mission authors who want to do font changes too. And backgrounds are de-facto controlled by mission authors.
I'm afraid there is no way to "not intervene with mission modifications".

In principle, you can unpack the guis directory and edit the files. Of course, if developers change these files, then you can get into trouble after update.
Another approach is to expose something via cvar, but I think it is worth doing only if many people want it (yeah, it is fragile!)

8 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

In principle, you can unpack the guis directory and edit the files.

Well that's what I do now. I thought a cleaner way to force certain gui settings would've been nice, but then I just do it manually (after each version update).

Let's start with a hard example: "Volta 2: Cauldron".
I'm afraid I need help from @kingsal here.

There is a ton of changes and overrides in GUI files when I compare to 2.09, but the only difference that I can spot is the background.
Also parchments are changed for objectives, but I think it is done directly by overriding images, no .gui files involved. It looks very weird of course, since some objectives parchment has new default style, some has old default style ("dirty" parchment), and some have customized parchment.

I have added a "fixed" version, but I only removed all forbidden file overrides, and added the following to "mainmenu_custom_defs.gui":

//stgatilov: disable briefing state after video
#define ENABLE_MAINMENU_BRIEFING 0

//stgatilov: display custom background everywhere
#define MM_BACKGROUNDS_MAINMENU_NOTINGAME   BackgroundCauldron
#define MM_BACKGROUNDS_EXTRAMENU_NOTINGAME  BackgroundCauldron
#define MM_BACKGROUNDS_MAINMENU_INGAME      BackgroundCauldron
#define MM_BACKGROUNDS_EXTRAMENU_INGAME     BackgroundCauldron
#define MM_BACKGROUNDS_BRIEFING             BackgroundCauldron
#define MM_BACKGROUNDS_DIFFSELECT           BackgroundCauldron
#define MM_BACKGROUNDS_SHOP                 BackgroundCauldron

Of course, I defined "BackgroundCauldron" in "mainmenu_background_custom.gui" too.

P.S. I also wonder if I should support something like MM_BACKGROUNDS_ALL, which would automatically override all backgrounds. Although failure and success screens are not changed here... so I guess it would be hard to decide what "ALL" should mean.

So I released this mission right around when I started tinkering with .GUI files, so its probably a mess. 

1 hour ago, stgatilov said:

Also parchments are changed for objectives, but I think it is done directly by overriding images, no .gui files involved.

Yes, this and I think volta 1 both have a custom objective screens + guis. These can go for now. I think we can keep the dds file overrides as those shouldnt interfere.  Down the road, I'd like to revisit the objective pages for the core, we can fit more objectives on that page and clean it up a bit. 

As long as the custom MM_backgrounds, the briefings, MM audio, and custom loading screen stay. I am happy. Many missions use custom loading screens GUIs so those we need to keep.  I might have forgotten that in my list of requests, sorry.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kingsal said:

Yes, this and I think volta 1 both have a custom objective screens + guis. These can go for now. I think we can keep the dds file overrides as those shouldnt interfere.  Down the road, I'd like to revisit the objective pages for the core, we can fit more objectives on that page and clean it up a bit.

Yes, texture overrides don't should not be a problem, here at least.

As for objectives, I think they need major refactoring in TDM core game. As I wrote once, there are 4 instances of objectives list, and some of them are copy/pasted, some have name collisions.

Many missions use custom loading screens GUIs so those we need to keep.

I guess I forgot to mention it: of course mission loading GUI is fully defined by FM --- nothing changes here.

• Like 1

The next case is Score to Settle FM by @Springheel.
This one does not override anything inappropriate, but it uses debriefing (controlled by SDK), which I'd like to get rid of.

This case is rather strange, because I had problems checking its behavior. I used "tdm_end_mission" command to quickly win, and tested 2.09, then 2.06, then 2.05. The debriefing simply did not trigger for me in 2.09 and 2.06, but it triggered in 2.05 --- however, it was without sound (main menu music kicked in immediately). Then I retried 2.09 and debriefing worked this time, but again with main menu music. I assume that the intent is to play debriefing video with its sound.
I guess this story confirms the idea that rarely used stuff breaks without anyone noticing it sooner or later 😞

In this FM, I have only added the following defines in mainmenu_custom_defs.gui:

//stgatilov #5323: enable and configure debriefing video
#define ENABLE_MAINMENU_DEBRIEFING_VIDEO 1
#define MM_DEBRIEFING_VIDEO_MATERIAL_1 "video/tdm_final_vid"
#define MM_DEBRIEFING_VIDEO_LENGTH_1 43000
#define MM_DEBRIEFING_VIDEO_SOUND_CMD "music tdm_video_finalroq_1;"

This does not affect its behavior in 2.09 and earlier, but fully fixes the debriefing in the test version of TDM.

• Like 2

I guess this story confirms the idea that rarely used stuff breaks without anyone noticing it sooner or later

Yes, it seems so.  Thanks for fixing it.

Next case is March of Rahena by @ERH+.
Again, no bad overrides here, but I'd like to remove "custom title" feature, which is used here to replace background.
As far as I remember, @ERH+ agreed to change the way how background looks.

Here are my changes:

1. Added mainmenu_background_custom.gui with one background layer for the actual image.
  2. Commented using #if 0 the group of defines related to custom title.
  3. Added the code to override background in main menu:
#define MM_BACKGROUNDS_MAINMENU_NOTINGAME 		BackgroundCustomRahena
#define MM_BACKGROUNDS_EXTRAMENU_NOTINGAME 		BackgroundCustomRahena
#define MM_BACKGROUNDS_MAINMENU_INGAME 			BackgroundCustomRahena
#define MM_BACKGROUNDS_EXTRAMENU_INGAME 		BackgroundCustomRahena

Since custom briefing uses default TDM backgrounds in this FM, I did not override background for DIFF_SELECT state: it uses TDM's default too.

The next one is "Accountant 1" by @Goldwell.
It was overriding some things in order to change background and to hide briefing.

I have removed the overriding files, and added the following to "mainmenu_custom_defs.gui":

//stgatilov #5323: disable briefing state
#define ENABLE_MAINMENU_BRIEFING 0

//stgatilov #5323: override background everywhere
#define MM_BACKGROUNDS_MAINMENU_NOTINGAME	BackgroundCustomAccountantGears
#define MM_BACKGROUNDS_EXTRAMENU_NOTINGAME	BackgroundCustomAccountantGears
#define MM_BACKGROUNDS_MAINMENU_INGAME		BackgroundCustomAccountantGears
#define MM_BACKGROUNDS_EXTRAMENU_INGAME		BackgroundCustomAccountantGears
#define MM_BACKGROUNDS_BRIEFING				BackgroundCustomAccountantGears
#define MM_BACKGROUNDS_DIFFSELECT			BackgroundCustomAccountantGears
#define MM_BACKGROUNDS_SHOP					BackgroundCustomAccountantGears

Then added "mainmenu_background_custom.gui" with animated background image.

Tried fixing campaign: No Honor Among Thieves by @Goldchocobo, @Mortem Desino and @Bikerdude.
I wonder if any of the original authors is reachable today.

This campaign has its own briefing video for each of the three missions.
Previously it was done via the "controlled by SDK method", which I'd like to remove.
So I had to provide old-style defines instead.

Here are my changes in "mainmenu_custom_defs.gui":

// stgatilov 5323: use old-style briefing video system instead
//#define BRIEFING_VIDEO_CONTROLLED_BY_SDK 1

#if MM_CURRENTMISSION == 1
	#define MM_BRIEFING_VIDEO_MATERIAL_1 "video/nhat_briefing_video_politics"
	#define MM_BRIEFING_VIDEO_LENGTH_1 121509
	#define MM_BRIEFING_VIDEO_SOUND_CMD "music video/nhat_briefing_politics;"
#elif MM_CURRENTMISSION == 2
	#define MM_BRIEFING_VIDEO_MATERIAL_1 "video/nhat_briefing_video_anoott"
	#define MM_BRIEFING_VIDEO_LENGTH_1 34205
	#define MM_BRIEFING_VIDEO_SOUND_CMD "music video/nhat_briefing_anoott;"
#elif MM_CURRENTMISSION == 3
	#define MM_BRIEFING_VIDEO_MATERIAL_1 "video/nhat_briefing_video_forest"
	#define MM_BRIEFING_VIDEO_LENGTH_1 34600
	#define MM_BRIEFING_VIDEO_SOUND_CMD "music video/nhat_briefing_forest;"
#endif

Also I commented out the MM_BRIEFING_VIDEO_MATERIAL_X, MM_BRIEFING_VIDEO_LENGTH_X and MM_BRIEFING_VIDEO_SOUND_CMD defines in the rest of the file.

It works for me now.
Unfortunately, the briefing won't work in 2.09 and earlier versions: it simple displays black screen, waiting for player to click mouse button.