The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Cole Hurst 1: Eaton by bwyan (2021/12/02)

bwyan

Pretty impressive, for a first mission nonetheless. I only wished there was even more to it, the mansion was just ripe for plenty of secrets and such. The city blocks also seemed like a lot of effort for not a lot of gameplay payoff, but the world-building is definitely better off for it. I did enjoy the developments that do occur. The little details were also fun, such as the various conversations, NPC encounters, and the custom voice acting. Very stable too, didn't see any technical issues.

I'm not a fan of forced no-knockout, but I'm glad almost all the lights were candles to offset it. Not to mention all the light-switches. And as mentioned, the mansion is massive, so avoiding people wasn't particularly difficult. Or who am I kidding, there was a good old AI brawl before I was finished, thanks to there being like a hundred of them.

Good stuff, hopefully we'll see more by you in the future.

Edited by roygato
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2021 at 4:20 AM, datiswous said:

I was flying a bit through the outside area (using noclip) and noticed there's a lot of detail outside of what is possible for the player to see. I wonder if that has an impact on performance. Maybe not because of visportals?

Hi, I can't decipher the display case not, so I can't find where the instrument is :( Can you help?

FOUND IT :) :))))

Edited by Esat320
found it

Really impressive mission! I loved the twist at then end, and I look forward to seeing how the mystery is resolved.

• Thanks 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

• 2 weeks later...

Nice mansion heist, my favourite mission type and I liked the twist at the end

Spoiler

(why would I need holy water? - oh shit)

The manor rooms were quite large, but the guards always managed to get under my feet anyway, so it was well balanced. It took careful stealth and good timing to complete all objectives (played on hard).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I also had trouble with a certain hidden switch - I got confused by 

Spoiler

the use of "office" for a room with no label, when there is a room called "study."

Once I realized I was in the wrong place I didn't have much trouble, but there were a lot of possibilities to look at within that wrong place that might have been correct!

• 2 weeks later...

Finished this up today and enjoyed the many areas to search. 

Spoiler

Enjoyed the many readables and had no trouble with the two new objections near the end (well end for me - saved Braxton's room for later. ) I missed the switch on my first go through the office but the letter helped. Loved the twist at the end (except the spiders) but figured it out pretty quick so headed down. (Did that door just appear in the sewer? Don't remember seeing it when I came through earlier lol) 

As I was heading back to my apartment I had to ask myself "What happened to all the people in Gatwick?" Noticed the gate was ajar coming out of the sewer, the hanged man was gone. Even the poor fellow sleeping it off was gone. Was expecting everyone to have been turned into zombies so checked the other neighbourhood, nope they were still as they were. Decided that was a good time to take my butt home. 

Thanks for all your hard work and look forward to the continuation. :)

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Good job, thanks. I liked the no knockout requirement, but honestly it didn't add to the difficulty. The spacious areas and the arrangement of light sources made it easy to avoid everybody. If you plan to change anything, you could increase the brightness of the lamps, and you might add a few more.

Spoiler

Maybe I missed something, but the lute thief part didn't make any sense storywise. The location was cool anyway.

Edited by Gerberox

• 6 months later...

Finally got around to this mission, I have a soft spot for good old classic mansion missions so this was a worthy experience. My only real complaint about the mission was how

Spoiler

finding Zelmer murdered seems like it should have been a major event. But the player character Cole doesn't acknowledge it like he does with other things that happen in the mission (at least he didn't in my playthrough).

From reading other posts I gather this will be a plot point for the next mission in the series, but if Cole, upon finding the scene with the maid and Braxton, maybe muttered a quick comment about how he won't have time to investigate the murder and should just focus on the task, would make the player also perhaps realize that they're not going to get any answers regarding the mystery solved in this mission. I think I was expecting more from the mystery and maybe could get more clues, but it just sorta happens and that's that.

Anyway, still a great mission. I had to play on the medium difficulty due to wanting to KO guards, but that's fine since once you've played a mission you're better able to tackle ghosting in a future replay as you will still remember the layout.

Edited by Xolvix
  • Like 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

Having great fun playing this mission.  Having a mansion to roam through is my favorite type too,  very Thief-like.  I did not play on hard as I don't like limits on knock outs however.  Big chuckle when I ko'd a guard at the buffet table and he had a carrot still in his hand when I dragged him out.  Thanks for making this FM!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Only now got around to finishing this one. Absolutely loved it: Starts out looking pretty average at first, you can tell it was rough around the edges in places and the first map of the author... then it does a lot of things you don't expect, I absolutely love a FM with surprises! There was just one thing that left me confused once I finished...

Spoiler

What just happened? Everything that takes place once you unlock that display case is a bizarre turn that is never explained, or if it is I couldn't find answers anywhere! Why did the singer send me to that cave in the sewers, where is the audience he wanted to have with me, who took the instrument there? Why did he say the instrument is more valuable than I realize, which implies it has some magical properties yet I can't seem to use it? Upon returning everyone is gone from the starting area, from the priest to the lady looking for water from the good fountain from the beggar behind the church... where did they go? Even the hanging man disappeared from the gallows... was he the undead waiting for me as I climbed back from the pit, or was that the singer who was a ghost all along tricking everyone into thinking he's alive and inviting him over? Even the gramophone recordings have some meaning that leaves you pondering, the note says they are exquisite pieces yet when you place them on the device to play you hear a distorted sound... are you the only one hearing them for what they are while everyone else is under a spell you're immune to, did listening to them cause Zelmer to die, for what reason and by whom was he killed in the first place? So much unanswered.

I know that most likely this was all left open ended on purpose for us to speculate, thus I'm not expecting an answer but if there are probable ones let me know. Other than that...

Spoiler

Got 8626 of 9066 loot, better than my usual amount in most FM's. Also I take it the priest sleeping in the red room was the inquisitor chief Blake: Since there were no objectives stopping me I took the liberty of axing him and putting him on the fireplace :P

One other thing I wasn't sure about at first but ended up loving...

Spoiler

Was the dialogue. Those silly voices were something else :D Initially I thought there wasn't a lot of effort put into the voice acting, which may be true but none the less I think you made the best of it. The drunk guard talking to the horse was quite an encounter to behold... didn't think he could be any more facepalm worthy till he proceeded to pee on a grave, now those are the crazy little details that make a FM great and helps stuff stand out.

Edited by MirceaKitsune
  • Like 2