The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Seeking Lady Leicester, by Grayman (3/21/2023)

Amadeus

22 hours ago, kin said:

Thanks for the help I will keep this piece of usefull information for the future because I have updated my GPU to rtx3060 and now I got everything maxed out without issues. 

Did you max out the Antialiasing as well? In my experience, setting it from 8x to 16x chops the frames per second in half (while still looking good). It's a real eater.

Of course, you will only notice that if you play without Vsync or frame limiter on, or if your monitor only does 60 Hz with Vsync enabled.

Edited by chakkman

Damn, what a crazy mission.

One issue with missions like this is that sharing screenshots that would accurately represent it would ruin the experience. So if anybody is reading this and considering whether to play it or not: this is very much not a standard city/mansion mission. 

Obviously I was blown away. My favorite moment was wondering "Are these just decorations or will I be able to jump onto them? Surely it's just a decoration." And it wasn't. I bet I wasn't alone in this.

The story was a bit confusing in places (the details like family issues, not what was overall happening), but what's important is that the mission was not. It was huge and there was a lot to do, but it flowed well. What helped was that finding stuff in "act one" helped me understand the layout of things in "act two", that in turn helped me find which areas I likely missed in "act one", and I was then free to take my time and return to them. That's a concept that worked really well because the added context made revisiting the old areas interesting again, something that I don't believe any other mission has achieved to do for me. 

I did have to go through this thread to find some of the secrets, but that's because I generally don't replay missions and wanted to get the (mostly) full experience from my one playthrough. It did seem at one point that the mission could be completed when the player has seen maybe 50% of it, which was a bit strange, but I guess most people here would not do that anyway.

• Like 1

Oh my gosh: This is so one of my top favorite FM's of all time. I just loved everything about it, from the cozy watery city to the completely unexpected twists it takes that always leave you baffled. Technically I completed all objectives and explored everywhere I could think of, but I'm still playing as I haven't finished quite a few things.

What I can say without spoilers: I found several special items that clearly go somewhere yet haven't figured out how to use them. Haven't found any of the codes for opening stuff that requires them either. Also something tells me...

Spoiler

... that there must be a secret way to save or revive the lady! Maybe that's where the 3 enchanted items I found go? I tried them both in the spirit world and physical world, but nothing I can use them on. Most likely her dying is hardcoded and you aren't given a choice, but just in case I'm wrong feel free to point me in the right direction.

The top things that absolutely made me cheer and I simply applaud:

Spoiler

I lived to see an alien spacecraft from the future in TDM :D Looks like someone beat me to that idea, had my own plans for a campaign concept mixing scifi into TDM's normal environment. Reminded me of the alien base in Subnautica.

Spoiler

But by far the most genius aspect must be what was done with the sword in the stone. I found both the site in the spirit world and the painting that created it in the real world... amazing! I'm sure Grayman knows and just loves this FM ❤️

Edited by MirceaKitsune
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, MirceaKitsune said:

Oh my gosh: This is so one of my top favorite FM's of all time. I just loved everything about it, from the cozy watery city to the completely unexpected twists it takes that always leave you baffled. Technically I completed all objectives and explored everywhere I could think of, but I'm still playing as I haven't finished quite a few things.

Thank you very much for playing! I'm glad you liked it! As for your question:

Spoiler

There isn't really a way to REVIVE the lady, but there is a way to put her spirit to rest. This is a side secret that isn't relevant to the main objectives, so I won't give it away. I would just encourage you to explore more, and maybe pay a bit more attention to the "sci-fi" areas related to the ship

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2023 at 11:10 AM, plotzzz said:
Spoiler

Any way to pick up the red life potion stuck in the barrel underwater ? I gave up after 10 tries

Thanks for playing!! As for your question, I'm not sure. this might be a bug. Will have to look into it

• Like 2

Thanks for your answer: I will look more and try to find it!

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Thanks for playing!! As for your question, I'm not sure. this might be a bug. Will have to look into it

Ah, how did I forget to mention this? I can fully confirm that bug myself, tried several times from multiple angles with no success then gave up. I'd move it a little to the front so it can become frobable.

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2023 at 1:22 PM, chakkman said:

Did you max out the Antialiasing as well? In my experience, setting it from 8x to 16x chops the frames per second in half (while still looking good). It's a real eater.

Of course, you will only notice that if you play without Vsync or frame limiter on, or if your monitor only does 60 Hz with Vsync enabled.

Sorry I did not mention that I never use Antialiasing or vsync. What I meant was maxed the settings that relate to shadows.

Edited by kin

3 hours ago, kin said:

Sorry I did not mention that I never use Antialiasing or vsync. What I meant was maxed the settings that relate to shadows.

On this FM in particular around various areas, 4x AntiAliasing eats up between 10 and 20 FPS on latest TDM dev snapshot. I still keep AA disabled since I want 144 FPS for my 144 Hz monitor, even if performance with it has improved quite a bit recently. I never go beyond 4x as there's no visual benefit just more performance loss, even 16x doesn't fix some sharp edges. VSync always enabled as I don't need to push my graphics card beyond what my monitor can render.

Finally found what I was missing and finished it the right way. Makes it much more beautiful and satisfying!

Spoiler

Not only you set every trapped soul free, but you also have the magic realm all to yourself to enjoy... what a deal! Even found the inheritance... I actually saw the button under the desk in the spirit world, traced the alternative route in and remembered to go there when returning to the physical version.

Only things I couldn't figure out is how to open the wide glass case with the trophies, which unlike all the others in that room can't be lockpicked... I haven't found any keys that work in the mansion. Oh and where to find the code for the little safe in the physical world, if anyone wants feel free to drop a hint on that as well and I'll go back to look for that too!

seeking(2023-06-2803-46-45)(2562.141344.95530.25).thumb.jpg.f7fdf3b8b88b9402fe1e473a379a7d28.jpg

Nothing revealing I should need to spoiler, can edit my post if you think I should. I'm getting this little visual glitch in a certain area when looking up, thought I'd mention if you think it's easy and worth fixing.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Cataphract said:

Got a couple places I can't seem to figure out how to get into:

Reveal hidden contents

How do I get into that barred door in the other dimension? How do I help the Lady's soul?

Spoiler

Which barred door was it exactly? Remember to try the special "key" that also takes you back, it works in several places. Including the device that will take you to the place where you need to donate a few items to help everyone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cataphract said:
  Hide contents

How do I get into that barred door in the other dimension? 

Spoiler

The barred door in the basement in accessible for the other side which you can get to from another area of the map. If you like a more specific clue:

Spoiler

You can find the entrance in area with the greenhouse and the precursor ship. It is right below the break in the wall into the Lord's room.

1 hour ago, Cataphract said:
  Hide contents

How do I help the Lady's soul?

Spoiler

This I would not answer, but I can say you will find info on this in the thread if you go digging.

Edited by Wellingtoncrab
just some formatting issues with the spoiler tags

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, blaa said:

This was an absolute trip, I went in blind and expected neither the quality nor the quantity. Easily one of the best I´ve played. 

Absolutely.

I set it aside for some time, as it overwhelmed me the first time I played it, but, when I approached it a second time, it was an amazing mission. I guess you need the right mind set for the mission. I played it through 2 times now, and, both times were great.

The quality in some of the current missions is really incredible. Especially when you consider that most of them were some coordinated work by several people.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, blaa said:

This was an absolute trip, I went in blind and expected neither the quality nor the quantity. Easily one of the best I´ve played. Made it out with 4630 loot and no idea what to do with those special items, so time to read some spoilers.

Spoiler

Go for a ride and throw them in a hole for a happy(er) ending.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, MarsManon said:

I was so enchanted by this FM, I had to sign up to the forums the same day I finished it to come thank the authors ❤️ Genuinely, truly incredible work! I was so overwhelmed in places that I resorted to just shouting joy at my monitor two, three, maybe four entirely separate times while playing. Exploring, puzzling, finding something new, trying to use it, and finding it does a whole new, separate, wonderful thing! There aren't enough words inside me to describe the feeling. It was breathtaking.

Welcome to the Dark Mod forums MarsManon! Thank you very much for the kind words about SLL, it's always nice to hear :) We all worked real hard on bringing Grayman's map to life and I'm glad you enjoyed it

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Replayed this amazing mission to test out version 2. I noticed you added some new loot. I found it all except one item, a bottle of wine worth 110 in the closet under the stairs at Lady Leicester's. It is hidden behind some sand bags. I had to use the loot cheat to locate it, and it is not even obtainable without the 'noclip' command. You can only see the cap sticking out, but I found no way to squeeze in there to take it. It there a way to get back there that I don't know about? Seems strange to add a piece of loot without even testing whether it can be taken...

Edited by Klatremus
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Klatremus said:

Hey guys,

Replayed this amazing mission to test out version 2. I noticed you added some new loot. I found it all except one item, a bottle of wine worth 110 in the closet under the stairs at Lady Leicester's. It is hidden behind some sand bags. I had to use the loot cheat to locate it, and it is not even obtainable without the 'noclip' command. You can only see the cap sticking out, but I found no way to squeeze in there to take it. It there a way to get back there that I don't know about? Seems strange to add a piece of loot without even testing whether it can be taken...

Hey @Klatremus - Thanks for the bug report! Looks like this was added after release and did not get properly tested. We doing some bug fixes now and a patch should be forthcoming shortly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

Never mind, I was able to get it without cheats now. You have to lean forward and run on the far left side, repeatedly pushing the frob key. Occasionally, you dip down between the bags and that's when you can manage to take it. Still, a longer frob distance and making the bottle more visible is probably smart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another question though. In the end stats it says 3 pickpockets. However, I counted 3 on guards in Leicester's manor (1 purse, 1 gallery key, and 1 guard orders note), plus 1 more note on a guest outside Gull & Barrels. That should be 4... The guest outside the restaurant is sitting though, perhaps that makes it not count?

The pickpocket counts are known to be bugged at times

See here, for example

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle