The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Hmm, is there any skin for thief model to get rid off quivery? or any other easy way to do this?

There's the "thief_lesser" model which does not have the quiver/bracers - It's used by the ai entity "thief_01" if you just wish to replace an existing entity in your map.

Not really sure if DR specific, but: I'm having problems playing a test map, for the first time. It was mostly a rough layout of a city fragment, basicly boxes that I'm now filling with geometry to practise architecture building in DR. I was loading fine, but in the last couple of days I worked on addind patch details to an existing house, as well as a rather complex dome. I can dmap but when I try to play it it gives me an error message: "1>- MAX_REACH_PER_AREA". Scrolling the dmap report I see that I'm getting a bunch of "nodes without volume" warnings. Is this a common error, what should I look for? I thought it might have something to do with the patches and subdivided them all to the least I could, but it didnt make a difference.

Don't worry too much about the nodes without volume warnings unless you get thousands.

The MAX_REACH_PER_AREA as Jesps says is pathfinding complexity. Have you monsterclipped and visportalled yet?

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/10526-monsterclipping/page__p__206964entry206964

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Visportals

Yes, I had recently inserted two houses in the map kind of violently and there were a bunch of holes between the existing areas and the new buildings, closing the "leaks" seemed to solve the problem (note that they were not real leaks, as there's a bounding sky box sealing everything). Thanks a lot. I also haven't done any visportals or clips yet, I'm basicly just experimenting with geometry, but now I see that even that has to be carefully done...

BTW, since I'm here, is there any particular reason I should be getting this display problem? Noticed in this little house only, I did use a bunch of CSG subtraction operations on the walls, the roof and walls (exterior) have sections covered with modeled patches, and the beams are all non-orthogonal brushes. It doesnt really flickers on "sections" of the wall brush for example, it kind of follows me when I move the candle around. Strangely, there's a room with much more radical patch intersections and I don't get a single issue in there (or the rest of the map, as far as I could see).

post-8474-13192000178_thumb.jpg

post-8474-131920003089_thumb.jpg

Edited by RPGista

Yes, I had recently inserted two houses in the map kind of violently and there were a bunch of holes between the existing areas and the new buildings, closing the "leaks" seemed to solve the problem (note that they were not real leaks, as there's a bounding sky box sealing everything). Thanks a lot. I also haven't done any visportals or clips yet, I'm basicly just experimenting with geometry, but now I see that even that has to be carefully done...

BTW, since I'm here, is there any particular reason I should be getting this display problem? Noticed in this little house only, I did use a bunch of CSG subtraction operations on the walls, the roof and walls (exterior) have sections covered with modeled patches, and the beams are all non-orthogonal brushes. It doesnt really flickers on "sections" of the wall brush for example, it kind of follows me when I move the candle around. Strangely, there's a room with much more radical patch intersections and I don't get a single issue in there (or the rest of the map, as far as I could see).

post-8474-13192000178_thumb.jpg

post-8474-131920003089_thumb.jpg

Never ever use CSG Subtract unless you absolutely have to. What you have there is more than likely brushes that are no longer aligned to grid. You should set your grid size small, something like 2, select those brushes and hit Ctrl+G (I think that's to align to grid) then pray that nothing gets screwed up, then convert those small detail brushes to func_static.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Thanks for the answer. It does SEEM to have something to do with either that first beam or the fact it's close to that cut up wall, because I was testing the other beams with a candle and their shadows behave normally. And like I said, I have this WIP dome in the next room that has a lot of patch clipping and I get no problems. Static lights don't seem to be a problem either, I only get that effect when I'm creating dynamic shadows...

The dome with static light

post-8474-131927896178_thumb.jpg

And a dynamic light (no problems)

post-8474-131927899647_thumb.jpg

The same aforementioned room with both static and candles around (but not moving)

post-8474-131927905742_thumb.jpg

Now with dynamic light moving around (I noticed the rest of the beams dont create any problems)

post-8474-131927913151_thumb.jpg

Okay, I'll stop flooding the topic now, it just seems as a strange clipping effect that is harmless, I should probably just be more careful in the future.

Yeah, those are almost certainly CSG subtract artifacts.

If I remember right, we all begged greebo to insert a big popup "WARNING: WAT ARE YOU DOING?!" the first time a mapper uses subtraction. It's a hard habit to break, but I cut my teeth on additive geometry with Half-life 1.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

"WARNING: WAT ARE YOU DOING?!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Properly applied, CSG Sub can be just as useful, if not more useful than the clipper tool. But for the unwary, definitely a serious potential pitfall. i agree with this warning totally. in fact, i wish that would pop up on my screen every time i use it :D

Thanks for the answer. It does SEEM to have something to do with either that first beam or the fact it's close to that cut up wall, because I was testing the other beams with a candle and their shadows behave normally. And like I said, I have this WIP dome in the next room that has a lot of patch clipping and I get no problems. Static lights don't seem to be a problem either, I only get that effect when I'm creating dynamic shadows...

The dome with static light

post-8474-131927896178_thumb.jpg

And a dynamic light (no problems)

post-8474-131927899647_thumb.jpg

The same aforementioned room with both static and candles around (but not moving)

post-8474-131927905742_thumb.jpg

Now with dynamic light moving around (I noticed the rest of the beams dont create any problems)

post-8474-131927913151_thumb.jpg

Okay, I'll stop flooding the topic now, it just seems as a strange clipping effect that is harmless, I should probably just be more careful in the future.

If you don't object I would suggest pm your map file to someone willing on this board like Bikerdude or nboh or me and we'll take a look at it, usually it can be fixed.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I like CSG subtract for punching rectangular holes in walls. It makes it really fast and easy to add a hallway between two distant rooms/areas by placing a rectangular brush between the two rooms, intersecting the walls, doing the csg subtract, and then converting the brush into a room and deleting the newly created end walls. As long as all is on the grid and is simple brushwork with perpendicular angles it works pretty well and saves a lot of time. Anything more complex than that can give very screwy results.

damn... lots of typos for me today

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

1) is there a way to disable the player lantern from being added to zone based dynamic lighting?

2) when using zoned ambient lighting, it seems to totally throw out the ambient light from ambient_world. is this right, or am i doing something wrong? Basically, to re-write that: does ambient_light spawnarg replace or add to the value of ambient_world on info_location entities?

To aluminuimhaste and bikerdude - Thanks a lot, but I would be embarassed, it's basicly just a big model of all the spaces I want to create for my first mission. I wanted to do a working model (without texture work, decorations, complex modeling) of the map first to see if I can get everything right before going on for the true architecture creation. I did get sidetracked though on some experimenting like the dome or the interior, but they are not to be explored any further, so there's no point in fixing them, I'm glad I'm getting a lot of things sorted out at this stage. When I get that model ready and a working gameplay experience to speak of, I'll be sure to send it to you guys, if you still want.

Hello people. (pretty new to this community)

I'm glad this thread exists cause my stupid questions will hardly be worth their own thread.

I've got 2-3 on my mind right now.

1. the simpler one is about the cutting tool. Every time I slice up a brush (the depth, naturally) the line(s) of depth where it was cut are invisible and it looks like the whole brush has no depth anymore. When I look from the other side, it's the same but I see the other brush side's texture. I hope you understand what I'm saying.

2. Then there's also a question or two closely related to my mission. I haven't seen a single daylighted mission made so far but I want mine to happen in daylight. Here's basically the 2 problems:

35c24yd.jpg

Don't mind the sillyness and chaos right now, I'll try to build around the sides (although I'd still like to leave the front so it's totally open cause I need a ship to be able to get this far). But more to the point I'd really love to get some daylight + storm. And also how do I get rid of the blackness below the stormy clouds and preferrably rweplace it with some sea water? I hope that's doable. That's a part of the reason I'm asking this stuff early cause it's pretty vital to know.

Edited by Thor

Hey Thor, welcome and nice to see you are already working on your own maps too. I'm not gonna comment so much on your issues (lets wait for the really experienced guys to come), but just regarding the day light in TDM, I would suggest you take a look at the maps Reap as you sow and Winter harvest. Both of them feature day light (the first even has a neat new system for AI's alertness since you cant hide in the drakness outside, based on restricted areas). Also, take a look at this tutorial, might help:

http://www.katsbits....-techniques.php

Edited by RPGista

Alright, thank you for that. Been learning new things (cause I'm really lazy with just following a tutorial, I want to learn information by their revelance (so when I need something I learn it)) and I think I got the hang of the general gist of outside light (unless THIS picture's look (1 diagonal missing from each light source now) is totally vital and revelant. Cause that I don't know how to do.

But anyhow that thunderstorm night sky is definitely not gonna cut it so I'm gonna need to somehow find a decent daytime (with clouds I'd like) cloud prefab but I only have like 3 prefabs there (all night). Maybe should research this though instead of ranting to others. I'll try anyway.

OH, btw, I read somewhere a bit ago on ttlg that there's an issue with darkmod that you can't build openly with very long distances. Is this still true or is it fixed now cause I swa this cool video on youtube where it seems to work but I'm not sure. (here

" Large, open areas with long view distances are now possible with SEED and LOD.") I'll also need to introduce myself to those termins. I just want a confirmation of this, cause I wanna build some fairly open areas. Although if I make it rain in them won't it cause tremendous lag/crashes? Jeesh I have so much to learn. Edited by Thor

A script is targeting an atdm:target_setobjective_state to change an objective to "invalid" but it doesn't...If i change the spawnarg "obj_state" to 1 or 3, the trigger works fine...Is there any known issues about invalid objectives? :wacko:

In the objectives menu it should just set the box blank same as incomplete. I don't know what effect it has in the code but it sounds like it would never complete after that. Does it?

What effect are you trying to achieve? AFAIK nobody has used 'invalid' so likely it is not needed and whatever you want to do can/should be done some other way. I'm guessing you want it to be not necessary to complete that objective in order to finish the mission? If so, then it wants changing to optional (but that would still complete if it is possible in the game.)

If it is still possible to complete but you don't want it to - you want it to remain blank no matter what - then what I would consider is set up two objectives listed one above the other in the list. Make them identical in text but one is visible and mandatory while the other is invisible and optional (and made impossible, eg, get 999999 in loot.) To simulate invalid you then set the first invisible and the second visible. Of course you can put some special message in the text for the new if you want like INVALIDATED!

Is that what you want?