Things that could be improved

• Please log in to reply
1984 replies to this topic

#1976 SuaveSteve

SuaveSteve

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 02:49 PM

There is no visual feedback as to how much strength you will throw something with. A player may wonder how long to hold till they are throwing furthest? Put another way, you throw an item with x force, if you hold down attack (or use for some equipment), then x increases until max.

Player doesn't know when max is reached.

Player doesn't know how quickly max will be reached.

Is the strength even increasing according to some curve? No idea!

I've looked at other games, but of the ones that let you change the strength of the throw, I could not find one that doesn't outright show you a trajectory.

So here's the crux, what is the point of allowing the player this if it is so poorly communicated? What could be done to improve it?

Here's my 5 cent suggestion: as force is increasing, increase the FOV, when it stops increasing, max has been reached.

#1977 chedap

chedap

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:15 PM

I wouldn't mind a Blood-style meter in the same style as health and breath bars. FOV change is too dramatic for such a throwaway (heh) action.

#1978 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5380 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:46 PM

If there's going to be any indication, I'd rather a tiny switch or bulb in the material of the lightgem frame popping out and moving along the bottom of it left to right for that kind of task.

Posted Image

#1979 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37245 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:08 PM

It only takes a few seconds to get to full impulse. I'm not sure what the value of an indicator would be...if you're not sure, holding it down for an extra couple seconds is unlikely to be a hardship.
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#1980 Abusimplea

Abusimplea

• PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:10 PM

I've looked at other games, but of the ones that let you change the strength of the throw, I could not find one that doesn't outright show you a trajectory.

Showing the resulting trajectory might be the most accessible way to do it.

#1981 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37245 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:15 PM

Showing a glowing trajectory in the air before you throw it is the kind of modern hand-holding that TDM usually tries to avoid.
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#1982 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5380 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 11:14 PM

Showing a non-diegetic 30 foot arc of bling light expanding and moving around in the air is about the worst kind of heresy to our minimalist & diegetic-if-possible design philosophy. I was worried that a minuscule knob popping out of the light gem might be too much. :laugh: (Granted we have the non-diegetic light up of entire doors... But that was already established and at least they're still real doors.)

• stgatilov likes this
Posted Image

#1983 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 01:13 AM

I'm not sure whether a FOV change indicating the throwing strength would really be that bad. It is pretty similar to the bow zoom, imho. In addition, the zoom doesn't have to be that strong. I guess this is one of the things one can best judge on when testing it, and like the bow zoom it could be something that could be disable-able (don't know the proper word here :) ).

I'm with Spring and dema, though, that any kind of trail would be a bad thing. Not only is it far from subtle, but it also shows you where exactly the object will land (if implemented properly), which completely removes the need of practise and skill currently accompanied with the act of throwing. To reuse the analogy to the bow, we also don't have a trail indicating where you'll hit there.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#1984 wesp5

wesp5

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 03:49 AM

I'm with Spring and dema, though, that any kind of trail would be a bad thing.

I agree with that. Also it there anywhere where you really need to throw a thing into an exact location? I only use throwing to divert guards and I hardly do it ever anyway...

#1985 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5380 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:50 AM

You need to in St Lucia for a puzzle, but you can also keep reusing the same rock until you get it. So mappers already take the uncertainty into account.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users