Photo

Fan Mission: Shadows of Northdale ACT I by Goldwell (2018/03/23)

shadows of northdale

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#76 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2361 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:34 PM

Pretty sweet mission so far. Love the vibe, music, and sounds of home. I just encountered a bug, though. Got a "Visual Studio Just-In-Time Debugger" pop-up saying, "An unhandled win32 exception occurred in TheDarkMod.exe [6956]"

Here is what I was doing:

Spoiler

Well that’s a new one! Does the crash happen if you replicate the same scene? I’m afraid I can’t help with the more technical bugs like these as that goes beyond my understanding. Of course it shouldn’t have crashed though, and during testing no one had a crash either.

If you’re able to power through it without another crash then that’s good, but if you get a crash again doing the same thing please post your save files here and I’ll try to track down someone who can have a look.

The Accountant Trilogy
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Shadows of Northdale Trilogy

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Spring Cleaning

#77 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2361 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 01:15 AM

I have really enjoyed this mission!
I've completed it, but the fact that I'm still missing one secret is driving me bonkers. I think if I were missing more than one, it wouldn't be quite so bad, but the whole 'You're only missing ONE!' is driving me batty. I wasn't keeping notes as I was finding them, and I can't recall one exactly (I keep remembering things that I don't believe were secrets) but I do recall these, and believe they were all actual secrets:

Spoiler

Plus loot 4085 out of 4404. On that, I say 'close enough!' and am very pleased. But the secret, OH the secret, that one secret!

The only issues I noted were that it felt strange to have to swim to my apartment, though I can understand after perusing this thread (looking for my missing secret), though I wish the guard would make snide remarks about my dripping wet clothes.  :P  Also, the drunk's voice (Farnham?) is too quiet to really understand most of it, even if it is mostly drunken babble.

Edit: Ok, can I just add that a few things stopped me in my tracks due to their wonderful detail? Like that ritzy apartment in my apartment complex, with the sink that fills and drains. I loved that!! Completely inconsequential detail, but I LOVE stuff like this. 

I am so excited for the rest of this campaign!

I had to wait until I was at a computer to respond to this so I could check out exactly where all the secrets are.

Here's the list

Spoiler

Also that's great that you noticed the sink draining, I put a lot of little details like that into my missions and it always makes me smile when people notice it :)

• Shaz likes this

The Accountant Trilogy

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#78 Darkness_Falls

Darkness_Falls

Concept Artist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2536 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:13 PM

Well that’s a new one! Does the crash happen if you replicate the same scene? I’m afraid I can’t help with the more technical bugs like these as that goes beyond my understanding. Of course it shouldn’t have crashed though, and during testing no one had a crash either.

If you’re able to power through it without another crash then that’s good, but if you get a crash again doing the same thing please post your save files here and I’ll try to track down someone who can have a look.

I tried it again, but it is a hard situation to replicate perfectly. When I did get fairly close to replicating the original situation, the error does not happen. So perhaps all is well. I will try again later and if I'm able to reproduce the error, I'll post here. Otherwise, assume it was just a one-time thing :)

Now I may need help with one of the objectives. I can't find:

Spoiler

Edited by Darkness_Falls, 08 April 2018 - 12:15 PM.

#79 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2361 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:16 PM

I tried it again, but it is a hard situation to replicate perfectly. When I did get fairly close to replicating the original situation, the error does not happen. So perhaps all is well. I will try again later and if I'm able to reproduce the error, I'll post here. Otherwise, assume it was just a one-time thing :)

Now I may need help with one of the objectives. I can't find:

Spoiler

Spoiler

The Accountant Trilogy

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#80 Spooks

Spooks

• PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:55 PM

Finished it a couple of days ago, brilliant mission! Reminds me why I'll never pass a Goldwell FM up. A dozen tiny details ensure this remains a memorable experience. I got about 2 out of 7 secrets, I thought the main part of the mission did not overstay its welcome and I enjoyed the varied locations you explore. Only problem was, paradoxically, that they could've been fleshed out way more. I got excited when entering the Thieves' Guild and the rooftops, but they were over before I knew it. Ah well, I suppose pacing trumps all. Best of all, it's not droll like much else of what be on offer in our selection of FMs. It's snappy and adventure-y, a refreshing change of pace from all the grimdark missions already published.

• Goldwell likes this

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016)

Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes!

#81 Shaz

Shaz

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:25 AM

Also that's great that you noticed the sink draining, I put a lot of little details like that into my missions and it always makes me smile when people notice it :)

Thank you for the secrets list, now I can soothe that itch.

And I will try to remember to point out when I find such things, because I love it when I notice them. They always make ME smile, and if it makes the creator smile to know I appreciated it, then it behooves me to make sure that they know  :)

Looking forward to discovering more little details in the next mission!

• Goldwell likes this

#82 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1343 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:27 AM

Just finished this mission. I really enjoyed it. It took quite awhile to realise that my bedroom balcony doors were not for show, I never even walked over

there, they just looked too good to open lol. So I wandered around blindly trying to find the next part of the map. In the end, it took noclipping around

to discover there was more to the map. Same with Wivertons bedroom, even after I looked on the forum for a clue, I still couldn't find the trigger, and

only found it by frobbing everything around there. 

Love the feel of the mission, and the intricate areas around the Thieves guild. Had some problem with the pipe when you go left out of your bedroom, and

go around the corner, I had some problems getting back on the pipe. If it continued another foot, that'd be solved. I died a lot trying to get back on the pipe. 

All in all, I really enjoyed this, loved the design, the story, and acting. Thanks heaps Goldwell :D

PS Oh yes I forgot to mention your amazing Intro video. Stunning work, really beautiful shots and beautifully directed. 

Edited by NeonsStyle, 15 May 2018 - 10:14 AM.

• Goldwell likes this

I have a small YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedar...2017-update-16/

#83 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 36993 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:43 PM

Finished the mission and really enjoyed it. 

First of all, the intro vid was amazing.  I'll go on record as supporting replacing the old TDM intro movie with Goldwell's "powered by tdm" version.

As for the mission itself, I loved all the details that added to the immersion, especially the custom dialogue.  The way the shopkeeper would react to what you did really added to the feeling of interacting with the environment.  The city had a great, lived-in feel, with some nice little world-building touches, like the singing statue.

Great secrets.  I really liked being able to put food into my inventory and eat it later...it added another way to feel rewarded for finding things without really unbalancing anything.

Spoiler

• chakkman, Goldwell and NeonsStyle like this

#84 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2361 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:32 PM

Finished the mission and really enjoyed it. 

First of all, the intro vid was amazing.  I'll go on record as supporting replacing the old TDM intro movie with Goldwell's "powered by tdm" version.

As for the mission itself, I loved all the details that added to the immersion, especially the custom dialogue.  The way the shopkeeper would react to what you did really added to the feeling of interacting with the environment.  The city had a great, lived-in feel, with some nice little world-building touches, like the singing statue.

Great secrets.  I really liked being able to put food into my inventory and eat it later...it added another way to feel rewarded for finding things without really unbalancing anything.

Spoiler

Spoiler

• NeonsStyle likes this

The Accountant Trilogy

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

#85 Cookie

Cookie

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:23 PM

Wow, this is a really good FM, your work is steadily improving on an already high level.

Spoiler

Edited by Cookie, Yesterday, 03:26 PM.

• Goldwell likes this

#86 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2361 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:34 PM

Wow, this is a really good FM, your work is steadily improving on an already high level.

Spoiler

Spoiler

The Accountant Trilogy

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users