The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod: Inspiration thread

Bikerdude

I'm currently building my first big rainy city map so I decided to look up some rain ambients and found this one below. It's really calming but I find that helps me to focus and inspires me to build some cool buildings that go well with a wet rainy city.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naOBXOdLiig

Edited by Goldwell

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the best reading experiences I can remember in a Thief mission were the collections of ghost tales, especially then when they raise the possibility that one of the apparitions could still be in the part of town where *you* are creeping in the dark right now. They can make for tense scenes even if the mission isn't a horror mission, and they can be great fun to write if you like that kind of creative writing.

For inspiration I offer American Folklore, americanfolklore.net/folklore/2010/07/presumed_drowned.html, set to one of my favourites so far ;) . One thing I realised after looking at folktales from here and elsewhere is that their tellers haven't been exposed to 20th and 21st century storytelling, which sometimes results in jarring endings. In one tale, a man is tempted by a fairy to run off into the woods, but he's stopped just in time by a woman from the village. The end. Still, more than one tale really has that campfire feel.

Those are nicely fitting textures there. And the vaulted ceilings...

Edited by Dragofer

JUst saw the video for the above mission :blink:

https://youtu.be/0UMqbOrrakY

Would so love to build something like this in TDM, just need somre caslte stone type textures.....

It appears a bit empty to me by now, but it is definetely very athmospheric (the ambient rocks).

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Some random link about water, rain and rendering:

https://seblagarde.wordpress.com/2012/12/10/observe-rainy-world/

The blog is a bit hard to read, but good!

Also:

www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-theory

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

tumblr_nnw2grwa8T1rw3fqbo1_540.png

Kurt Hielscher: Albarracín, Spain, 1925

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Not an outright "inspiration" thing, but I've thought this could be a useful little resource for those who are building FMs with various fortified architecture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Fortifications

I think it's handy to have a mini-dictionary of sorts on the various common typologies of castles, forts and other fortifications. If nothing else, you can at least do some fact-checking about whether a certain type of fortified structure would seem realistic enough from a real world perspective.

Louise Ingram Rayner (21 June 1832 – 8 October 1924) was a British watercolor artist. She lived in Chester in the Welsh Marches but travelled extensively, painting British scenes, during the summers in 1870s and 1880s. Her paintings are very detailed and highly picturesque populated street scenes capturing the “olde worlde” character of British towns and cities in the booming Victorian period.

tumblr_n7f697NHic1s7nzp2o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n7f697NHic1s7nzp2o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n7f697NHic1s7nzp2o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n7f697NHic1s7nzp2o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_n7f697NHic1s7nzp2o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_n7f697NHic1s7nzp2o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_n7f697NHic1s7nzp2o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_n7f697NHic1s7nzp2o9_1280.jpg

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Wow, those are beautiful. I love that atmospheric perspective. The first two are especially well-suited to TDM.

One style of mid 19th century housing that is mostly forgotten: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octagon_houseWhile the concept was a North American fad of the period, I suppose someone could use a variation on the octagon floor plan idea while designing some unusual housing for an FM. Probably with some of the more "Victorian" styling of TDM in mind.

One style of mid 19th century housing that is mostly forgotten: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octagon_houseWhile the concept was a North American fad of the period, I suppose someone could use a variation on the octagon floor plan idea while designing some unusual housing for an FM. Probably with some of the more "Victorian" styling of TDM in mind.

Wow! it comes with detailed floor plans and even module building instructions. A treasure chest for a new mapper, I am sure.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I made an octagon complex in dromed, you can see it in the Chain Project. Turns out to look really cool IMO. Generally you have more room to put things, but walls are still on easy to manage axes, well for dromed. For DR, you'd maybe build the angled stuff first on grid then rotate the whole bit 45 deg en masse.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear you've liked that suggestion, guys. :smile: I wasn't expecting this big of a response.

Edited by Petike the Taffer

This guy's YouTube channel about period archery is awesome.

I'd especially recommend watching the two-part tutorial video on making an arrow bag. It even goes to the length to explain how to build a spacer for the top of the quiver. There's even a note on the spacer's design that makes you think a bit about broadheads and how you'd store them comfortably to avoid damaging the fletching ! B)

Edited by Petike the Taffer