The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

http://www.amazon.co...&keywords=thief

for disk version

Is it just me but Garrett seems to run everywhere which is extremely silly on a stealth game

It's so strange that they don't have a physical collectors edition. And if all thats inside the regular edition case is a DVD and perhaps a one page booklet then what's the point of even getting that.

Ouch. This sounds baaaad......

The inhabitants of Garrett's City don't go in much for security, frequently leaving windows ajar and their family heirlooms glinting proudly on the mantelpiece. It should be a tense experience, jimmying open a window with Garrett's crowbar, stealing into the room, snuffing the candles and liberating coins, candlesticks and pocket watches from drawers and dressers. But after the first few snapped latches, an uncomfortable realisation sets in: no-one's coming to get you. No outraged citizen ever barges to find Garrett with his gloved fingers in the cutlery drawer, no sleepy child ever wanders up to bed to find the masked villain upending his piggy bank into a sack. These things you're stealing don't belong to anyone; they're just interchangeable loot objects, their only purpose to add coppers to Garrett's purse.

In stark contrast to Human Revolution, Thief's City is nearly empty. I stalked the rooftops and prowled the alleyways and only rarely came across an NPC who wasn't a patrolling guard or a crouching beggar. I did once find a man and a woman out for an evening stroll. Perhaps they were a couple - it was hard to tell, as they weren't talking and were walking about three feet apart. Eager for some human contact that didn't end with Garrett gurgling on the end of a sword, I bounded up to them. Perhaps, as in Jensen's Detroit, they'd have some colourful conspiracy theory to share with me about the City or the plague - or maybe even a sidequest for me to complete. Perhaps the man would have a business rival in possession of some secret documents that needed 'redistributing', or maybe the woman was embroiled in some torrid affair that I could expose to the husband for a reward and follow-up assassination contract.

The man walked straight into me without a word, staring unblinking through Garrett with glassy eyes. Then he wandered off, his mute maybe-wife following robotically tow.

• Like 1

being a disk version doesn't mean steam isn't required...

Well no shit sherlock :P

My point is whats the point of even getting a disk version if there is no special items. If it's just a dvd and theres no advantage to having that other than paying extra for it.

Ouch. This sounds baaaad......

The first paragraph isn't so bad I mean most FM's are like that too. Plenty of times I've played and seen loot within arms reach on windowsills and unhinged windows too.

But... that second paragraph... that sounds quite bad. I mean a dead city... in Thief?! Those two don't even belong in the same sentence!

I haven't followed attentively all the posts and news about thief so far, but is it just me or there's no intermediate state of hiding? Like when you're in dim light, not in full sight but not in full darkness either. By looking at the new footage it seems as you're either IN or OUT of total darkness. The gem is either day bright or completely dark.

I haven't followed attentively all the posts and news about thief so far, but is it just me or there's no intermediate state of hiding? Like when you're in dim light, not in full sight but not in full darkness either. By looking at the new footage it seems as you're either IN or OUT of total darkness. The gem is either day bright or completely dark.

I remember reading somewhere that it is tri-nary so you have three levels with the light gem. But also sadly the light gem has been severely limited and replaced by glaucoma vision (screen shroud)

The first paragraph isn't so bad I mean most FM's are like that too. Plenty of times I've played and seen loot within arms reach on windowsills and unhinged windows too.

It's not the part about loot lying around, it's the part about no one ever coming to get you. Are you just robbing houses that are completely devoid of AI? That's certainly how it sounds.

It's not the part about loot lying around, it's the part about no one ever coming to get you. Are you just robbing houses that are completely devoid of AI? That's certainly how it sounds.

If the houses really are devoid of AI yeah that would be well pointless I mean theres no fun in robbing if no one is there. Perhaps the AI were asleep and the guy playing didn't notice?

Things like this I wish we could have a straight answer from EM as these previewers could definitely be right or it could just be unfortunate luck

Thats a very harsh review... christ, I hope its not as bad as the reviewer is making out?

• In stark contrast to Human Revolution, Thief's City is nearly empty.
  • The man walked straight into me without a word, staring unblinking through Garrett with glassy eyes. Then he wandered off, his mute maybe-wife following robotically tow.

Oh dear, even TDS had enough Ai to be believable. I hope the PC version comes with plenty of AI, but that said Dishonoured has enough Ai so why can't thief4..?

It roughly a month before release could they not just add more Ai like we can in TDM

This reminds me of some guy on youtube who did a live action Thief video, where he ran up to a big house, crouching, sneaking, avoiding light, and then broke in a side door and dashed around the place, stealing things. It was kind of cool, except...there was nobody home. No "AI" anywhere. No one to catch him.

It made the whole thing kind of pointless. If this is how Thief 4 is going to be, why bother?

It roughly a month before release could they not just add more Ai like we can in TDM

Changing anything at this point, especially AI and patrols, would require a whole additional layer of play testing. I'm guessing they don't have time or resources to do that and still meet the February 25th release date.

Edited by brethren

This reminds me of some guy on youtube who did a live action Thief video, where he ran up to a big house, crouching, sneaking, avoiding light, and then broke in a side door and dashed around the place, stealing things. It was kind of cool, except...there was nobody home. No "AI" anywhere. No one to catch him.

It made the whole thing kind of pointless. If this is how Thief 4 is going to be, why bother?

Changing anything at this point, especially AI and patrols, would require a whole additional layer of play testing. I'm guessing they don't have time or resources to do that and still meet the February 25th release date.

Aw man, that sucks. Because visually, I think EM did a great job in the art direction. I particually like the immersive Garrett's hands thing to make the game more realistic, compared to the orignal Thief games where you can open/close a door 5 feet way! Lol!

Dang it! I really want this game to be awesome! Now, after reading that article, I'm having doubts. I'm going to see a walkthrough of the first 4 levels of the game before I buy it! x(

I don't 'trust' PC Gamer but their reviews are usually pretty close to truth and reading that was very disheartening...

Oh well... guess its the end of February then and wating on Watch Dogs which looks at least entertaining.

Will somebody here nuke me up if I said I actually liked the faster pace of the new thief? Let's just agree that after the third load, creeping in the shadows at snail pace is just tedious. And for those who are against the dash thingy, no one says you HAVE to use it. You can disable the command and forget about it. This is ONE thing I like about the game that people in general seem to be so angry at. Other than this, yes, I agree, it just doesn't look like a Thief anymore.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I found some gameplay footage without commentary.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy_zwFr9Occ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxmBKLUf5uo

Time stops when he changes weapons. Argh...

His shadow is apparent in front of a guard while sneaking and two other guards in front of that guard but noone notices? Argh...

I do like being able to peep through keyholes.

Orchestra hit while blackjack animation? Is this a movie or a video game?

I have to wait till I play but I am so not holding any hopes...it may be a decent game, but as far as living up to the bar set by the first two titles, we are all shit out of luck.

From what I can tell, EM should've just made some other game that was not attached to the Thief title at all, because this really looks like it has very little to do with Thief besides name references.

I'm disappointed the reviews don't go in depth and I'm seeing the same screenshots over and over. It's almost like the reviewers were only allowed to say certain things.

Although I don't enjoy reading the PC Gamer review, given how they trash it, but I always respect PC Gamer and think they had very good taste. It's just affirming what I already (and most of us here) already feared.

I will say that the really cool stuff that I've noticed so far in Thief 4 is all present in TDM(besides keyhole peering), so at least I can continue playing TDM and get full throttle experience.

Maybe I'm getting old, but gaming at large just isn't the same as it used to be. I miss when the titles in stores were made by relatively unknown companies (like LGS) and computer games were still an untapped market without so much producer say and corporate red tape.

Edited by Deadlove
  • Like 1

Will somebody here nuke me up if I said I actually liked the faster pace of the new thief? Let's just agree that after the third load, creeping in the shadows at snail pace is just tedious. And for those who are against the dash thingy, no one says you HAVE to use it. You can disable the command and forget about it. This is ONE thing I like about the game that people in general seem to be so angry at. Other than this, yes, I agree, it just doesn't look like a Thief anymore.

Nuke x 2.

Creeping in the shadows at snail pace is part of what made Thief legendary. That was the play style, and it was very realistic and tense.

Go to the Eidos forum. Play Assassin's Creed or Dishonored. Those games cater to that faster kind of play style.

From what I've seen Thief 4 does too, but not TDM.

I'm being nice. To each their own. Here, you're cries fall upon deaf ears.

TDM is the closest to a spiritual successor of Thief 1 & 2 that I've ever encountered, and the majorit of the people here that I've interacted with are Thief purists that actually get what the game is about. I don't think EM got what it was about.

JTR7 your post brought out the geek in me, and made me want to post pics of the original Thief boxes + discs + SS2 + a whole bunch of others (Doom/Hexen/Quake/Q2) that I've held onto for so long because not only are they dear to me, but because it was really something when games didn't require the internet to play.

• Like 1