The Dark Mod Forums

Share your Status / What's on your mind?

STiFU

5 hours ago, Xolvix said:

I haven't been following this much, but from what I can gather it's mostly been led by a couple of dudes on Linus Tech Tips trying to see how well they can go with running a Linux-only system on their regular gaming machines. It's been a mixed experience with Linus having the most trouble due to how an issue with APT on Pop!_OS caused the installation of Steam to effectively uninstall the desktop environment (https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2021/11/system76-patches-apt-for-pop-os-to-prevent-users-breaking-their-systems). I believe the experiences of the LTT folks are genuine and not attempting to demonstrate any FUD especially since they've talked positively about Linux in the past. But from the point of view of the end user trying Linux, when things go bad it's easy to just crawl back to Windows because despite its problems it's at least the devil you know.

If anyone else is trying to piggyback on this by pushing anti-Linux FUD then yeah I have a problem with that. But the videos of people's experiences when done in good faith (very important) are useful if only to demonstrate that there are issues and they do factor into people deciding if moving to Linux is worth it.

I think that video shows Linux Mint is reasonably user friendly but they are treating it as if it's an "Experts Only" option.

Sadly that doesn't paint a good picture either.

As much as I like LTT, I am not inclined to believe they are beyond the reach and influence of a multi-billion dollar company...

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

8 minutes ago, STiFU said:

Nobody cares unfortunately in my region.

We're all going to get infected anyway because it's in the air. The virus gets in our eyes and we're done. Sisyphic efforts.

At least I was infected and had my 15 days in hospital as well as getting vaccinated when it was available. But not everyone finds out the smart thing to do until it's time.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 1 month later...

This will sound weird in TDM forums, but I just finished Thief 2 for the first time. 

Took me a long time because there were some elements that I didn't enjoy that much and I got a bit tired of it in the second half, so there were pauses between play sessions, often playing new TDM missions instead when I was feeling sneaky.

Tried to find what I actually had issues with, and I think it was mostly the cameras and automatic guns. The First City Bank and Trust was the first mission where around 2/3 in I thought "well, this is just starting to be a drag". I had to be too careful, too slow, and avoiding the cameras didn't feel rewarding like avoiding people did. With robots it was a bit similar, although not as bad with a few exceptions where they seemed to have inhuman dark vision.

I appreciate the work put into the setting and the overall polish and slightly better graphics, plus some of the missions were amazing of course, but I realized that overall I simply prefer the atmosphere and themes of Thief Gold (Gold mainly for the opera mission, if only for the amazing soundscapes and the singing hermit). There's just something about the spooky atmosphere of Bonehoard, Cragscleft or the Haunted Cathedral that worked really well for me and I didn't mind the end missions either. Whereas Sabotage at Soulforge was a bit of a pain and the outro video a disappointment.

It's great how both games still hold up though. Must have been revolutionary at the time of release. And after playing them I realize why Deadly Shadows was a disappointment. I still think it's a really good game (after removing the riddiculous in-level loading screens), but it was nowhere near as innovative. 

• Like 3

When I was a noob, I think I played T2 before T1, and First City Bank and Trust was a turning point. It's an immensely complicated tapestry of threats and confusion for the player, and you aren't able to skip as much of the mission as previous ones. Now I can visualize parts of it in my head without having played it for years, so not nearly as hard.

On 11/21/2021 at 10:29 AM, STiFU said:

FYI: That 90% for the fist bump actually seems to be legit, according to this paper... ^^

Probably also better than the ellbow greeting which get you closer to the person than doing a handshake.

I stumbled onto this video: https://youtu.be/-oTfH90psC4. I'm a huge fan of SWAT 4, and was greatly looking forward to its spiritual successor, Ready or Not: https://voidinteractive.net/. Anyways, the video is really good,it points out all the details, which we all know really makes the difference when mapping!

Edited by Frost_Salamander

5 hours ago, Frost_Salamander said:

I stumbled onto this video: https://youtu.be/-oTfH90psC4. I'm a huge fan of SWAT 4, and was greatly looking forward to its spiritual successor, Ready or Not: https://voidinteractive.net/. Anyways, the video is really good,it points out all the details, which we all know really makes the difference when mapping!

I am excited for that game as well. Let's hope the recent controversy regarding a school shooting level will be resolved.