Photo

Fan Mission: Shadows of Northdale ACT II by Goldwell (2019/03/20)

shadows of northdale

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2503 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:53 PM

POPULAR

sBMkLqe.jpg

Author note:

It's hard to believe it's already been a year since Act 1 came out! Well during this mission the player will be following Corbin into the Grimwood district to followup on a lead from last night (Act 1) .. the mysterious tablet!

This mission is my first time including full EFX support as well as a HD briefing video file, additionally a new script has been added crafted by the talented Obsttorte which has loot flying towards the player when you pick it up.

On a level design front I have tried to change things up a bit by really catering towards a number of play styles, this mission can be completely ghosted or you can use the tools at your disposal to wreak havoc on the citizens of Northdale. For the first time I have tried to create more sandbox environments which don't offer clear answers handed directly to you, so if you're having trouble figuring something out try a different method.

This mission takes between 1 - 2 hours to finish depending on the difficulty you play on and how thoroughly you explore.

I hope you enjoy your night in Northdale!

- Goldwell

KZRId4i.png

t4ahZ82.png

Attached File  1.jpg   40.84KB   0 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   47.49KB   0 downloadsAttached File  3.jpg   55.54KB   0 downloadsAttached File  4.jpg   49.42KB   0 downloadsAttached File  5.jpg   45.5KB   0 downloadsAttached File  6.jpg   39.28KB   0 downloads

ph8ygBw.png

Voice actors
Fen Phoenix
Goldwell
Random_Taffer
Yandros

Beta testers
Amadeus
Boiler's Hiss
Cambridge Spy
Chakkman
Crowind
Epifire
Kingsal
SquadaFroinx

Custom Assets
Andreas Rocha
Dram

DrK
Epifire
Grayman
Kingsal
MalachiAD
Obsttorte
Sotha
Springheel
SquadaFroinx
Purgator

With special thanks to Epifire for creating a large collection of custom models, Grayman for helping out with coding, Kingsal for drawing the ingame map and Moonbo for his script revision on the briefing video.

MwLG9Q3.png

Available via in-game downloader

MIRROR

File Size: 417 mb

EDIT: If you are having performance issues please consult this post by Nbohr1more which may address your issue http://forums.thedar...e-2#entry436271

• STiFU, Ralle321, Ladro and 17 others like this

The Accountant
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Shadows of Northdale Campaign

ACT I | ACT II

Stand Alone Missions
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Spring Cleaning

#2 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9508 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:30 PM

Congrats!!!

(Too bad my new overnight schedule will prevent me from playing until Sunday night... :( )

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#3 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12924 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:28 PM

Yoweeeeee!!!!!!!

#4 FenPhoenix

FenPhoenix

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:13 PM

POPULAR

Boy howdy, I remember recording for this! Feels like back in the mists of time... B)

Looks fantastic Goldwell. That intro is production value supreme right there!

• Tarhiel, nbohr1more, Epifire and 2 others like this

#5 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1665 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:50 AM

Wow, this looks amazing... Gonna have to check this one out!

#6 Ubersuntzu

Ubersuntzu

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:25 AM

So glad I subscribed to you on youtube. Redownloading Dark Mod as a type this. 0_0

#7 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1485 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:27 AM

Congratulations. :) WOOHOO I've been looking forward to this. Will get into it later tonight :D Absolutely love the briefing style. Just gorgeous.

Thank you Goldwell. 

Edited by NeonsStyle, 20 March 2019 - 09:55 AM.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedar...2017-update-16/

#8 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3573 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:46 AM

Congrats, looking forward to playing this beauty at the weekend!!! :-)

• Petike the Taffer likes this

#9 Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

• PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:19 AM

Goldwell, congratulations ! :)

Awesome to see a new chapter in this story.

#10 Filizitas

Filizitas

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:30 AM

I did a playthrough of it, its not a good playthrough. But even dumb me managed to finish this mission :3

• HMart and Petike the Taffer like this

Can we have more scary Zombie Horror maps?

#11 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:11 PM

Congrats Goldwell!

As always, this is a killer release with so much thought and care put into every inch of it.  I encourage everyone to play it! Can't wait for the next one. 

• Ladro and Goldwell like this

#12 Bluehawk

Bluehawk

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:45 AM

I've found all the loot, but only 5 out of 6 secrets. Is that working as intended?

Spoiler

I only ran into one little bug. When I stand near to the statue in the intersection between the church and the tavern, the skybox flickers. If I move out of the intersection in any direction, it appears fine. Could it be z-fighting between two intersecting 'ceilings'?

#13 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2503 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:18 AM

I've found all the loot, but only 5 out of 6 secrets. Is that working as intended?

Spoiler

I only ran into one little bug. When I stand near to the statue in the intersection between the church and the tavern, the skybox flickers. If I move out of the intersection in any direction, it appears fine. Could it be z-fighting between two intersecting 'ceilings'?

- Yes all six secrets are working. In the past people complained about them being too easy. So I tried to make some of them much more difficult to find. One of them isnt tied to loot, its a location.

-
Spoiler

- I will look into it.
  • Anderson likes this

The Accountant

ACT I | ACT II

Stand Alone Missions

#14 chakkman

chakkman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1169 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:01 AM

Grats to another wonderful mission. :)

#15 VanishedOne

VanishedOne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1003 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:23 AM

Yes, nice one: I especially loved the aesthetics of the mage areas.

Unfortunately, I encountered a glitch: the interrogation audiolog stopped playing its sound midway through. I reloaded and tried again, and it got a bit further but still nowhere near the end. The tube continued rotation and eventually it stopped and became frobable again, I just wasn't hearing anything more from it.

The other, shorter audiolog worked fine, so I don't know what the cause might be and there's no obvious reason to think it's a map bug: maybe something about TDM on my system creates problems for longer audio files? Though you'd think I'd have music cutting out if that were the case.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

#16 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2503 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:26 AM

Yes, nice one: I especially loved the aesthetics of the mage areas.

Unfortunately, I encountered a glitch: the interrogation audiolog stopped playing its sound midway through. I reloaded and tried again, and it got a bit further but still nowhere near the end. The tube continued rotation and eventually it stopped and became frobable again, I just wasn't hearing anything more from it.

The other, shorter audiolog worked fine, so I don't know what the cause might be and there's no obvious reason to think it's a map bug: maybe something about TDM on my system creates problems for longer audio files? Though you'd think I'd have music cutting out if that were the case.

That bug has been in TDM for a longtime. If you press escape or quick save in the middle of either a sound file playing or during the delivery of an AI conversation line it cuts itself off. I also found during testing if you walk too far away the sound file stops too.

If you quick load it will start playing from the point you quicksaved thats the only resolution I found there. But if you hit escape it just wont play unless you load a save game from before you activated the speaker entity.
  • Tarhiel and Anderson like this

The Accountant

ACT I | ACT II

Stand Alone Missions

#17 VanishedOne

VanishedOne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1003 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:06 PM

I don't think I did any of those things; the second time around I made a point of standing still to listen. But it's probably related to or another manifestation of that behaviour, you're right.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

#18 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2503 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:11 PM

I don't think I did any of those things; the second time around I made a point of standing still to listen. But it's probably related to or another manifestation of that behaviour, you're right.

Its just part of the nature of game design. Theres nothing in there which I could see would break it. Once you frob the audiograph player it activates the speaker and and sound file rolls in. In the script which spins the roll in the back theres nothing further referencing the speaker. Theres no other entity targeting it either so I dont understand how it stopped.

I personally have listened to those files play out probably a hundred times without any stopping (minus the quick save, escape or walking away thing), no testers had issues either. I really dont know sorry.

There have been stoppage issues since 2.03 apparently though. http://bugs.thedarkm...iew.php?id=4341
  • Tarhiel and VanishedOne like this

The Accountant

ACT I | ACT II

Stand Alone Missions

#19 JackFarmer

JackFarmer

• PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:19 PM

Oh boy, here comes his next mission! :)

Congratulations and thank you very much for the hard work!

#20 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1485 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:45 AM

Playing this now. Awesome misson. I love the design and all the little vocal details and effects

that just add so much to it. Not really a fan of magic, but here it really does work well. 

Story is just great, really getting into it. The design is just gorgeous. So much variety

of gameplay from rooftops to ledges to ground level. Definitely one of my favourite

missions. 

I've completed all of it, just can't seem to find the final 200 loot for the master level, Will find 

it somewhere lol. 

Thanks heaps. A lot of replay value in this level. :)

Neon

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedar...2017-update-16/

#21 zergrush

zergrush

• PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:45 AM

What a quality release! Might I ask how many episodes do you have planned for this series?

Also in a fair bit of criticism, regarding the image below:

fZiV9E1.png

If this torch was placed like this in real life two things would happen: a) with little ventilation around, the room would be filled with smoke, b ) the whole place would have caught on fire since it's entirely made of wood! Torches like this were never used in days of yore to light up interiors since the light they produce is overly obfuscating and they tend to burn out too fast. Candles and oil/melted fat lamps, like the ones already used on TDM, were commonplace instead, since they are much safer, durable, and produce a stable flame with no smoke.

Edit: I found nice a video explaining why indoor torches don't make much sense at all:

Edited by zergrush, 23 March 2019 - 04:03 AM.

#22 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:56 AM

There's no requirement for maps to be realistic, here it's more about spending a gameplay resource (water arrow) to tackle a problem (or avoid the light). There could be a gas/electric light with a switch there, but it would make the situation a lot of easier. There are fireplaces/chimneys without proper air duct as well, and nobody complains about that, because they serve as simple decoration, and light source that can be extinguished/avoided.

#23 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2503 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:02 AM

Also in a fair bit of criticism, regarding the image below:

fZiV9E1.png

If this torch was placed like this in real life two things would happen: a) with little ventilation around, the room would be filled with smoke, B) the whole place would have caught on fire since it's entirely made of wood! Torches like this were never used in days of yore to light up interiors since the light they produce is overly obfuscating and they tend to burn out too fast. Candles and oil/melted fat lamps were commonplace instead, since they are much safer, durable, and produce a stable flame with no smoke.

Good point, but Judith hit the nail on the head in that this scene is more about spending a gameplay resource to remove the light.

What a quality release!

Thank you!

What a quality release! Might I ask how many episodes do you have planned for this series?

There are three more missions left in the series, two of which are full levels and one is an interlude mission. I'm unsure if they will all be bundled in Act 3 or if they will be spread out over Act 3 and Act 4.

• chakkman likes this

The Accountant

ACT I | ACT II

Stand Alone Missions

#24 zergrush

zergrush

• PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:13 AM

There's no requirement for maps to be realistic, here it's more about spending a gameplay resource (water arrow) to tackle a problem (or avoid the light). There could be a gas/electric light with a switch there, but it would make the situation a lot of easier. There are fireplaces/chimneys without proper air duct as well, and nobody complains about that, because they serve as simple decoration, and light source that can be extinguished/avoided.

This would only make sense if water arrows could not be used to put out oil lamps or small oil burners. There are plenty of options available that make using indoor torches pretty much pointless.

#25 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2503 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:17 AM

This would only make sense if water arrows could not be used to put out oil lamps or small oil burners. There are plenty of options available that make using indoor torches pretty much pointless.

There was an oil lamp in there originally but it's light radius made it's threat ineffective. If I increased the light radius to make it light up enough of the room people would wonder "why is there a huge amount of light coming from this oil lamp?".

It's a bit damned if you do damned if you don't. I chose the torch because I thought it looked great in the scene, added a bit more of a challenge then hitting a button to switch off an electric light and lit up the room well.

• Judith likes this

The Accountant

ACT I | ACT II

Stand Alone Missions

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shadows of northdale

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users