Jump to content
The Dark Mod Forums

IT'S ALIVE!


AluminumHaste
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, grayman said:

Then why is there a discussion of using github and Sourcetree?

It's just my suggestion, and it does not look like it's getting traction ATM.

The svn is down, and it's been for a while.

I would think that converting the repo to github might be faster than waiting for @taaki to restore svn and easier to maintain in the long run. Not mentioning git's superior branch/merge ability.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I would be strongly in favor of a move to Git. Yes, it is initially more complicated than svn and has a learning curve, but once you're past that you end up with workflows that are just superior (imho). Particularly in a distributed team context as we have here.

Also, if we ever want to actively attract new developers to join or at least contribute to the project, I believe there is no alternative. The private SVN repository is a hassle and huge turn-off in that regard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

Definitely not.

SVN is and will be the main version control in the nearest future.

Ok, thanks.

IMHO if we do move to github in the future, I'd rather see it done with a good plan that includes implementation, instructions for gh newbies (not all repo users will be developers), and testing that all takes place while SVN still allows us to get our work done.

I'm not in favor of a switch during the temporary outage we're currently experiencing. We'd inevitably screw something up in our haste to get the repo back online.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, peter_spy said:

Btw. one thing that I'd address sooner than later would be disabling guest accounts. And implementing https.

Good catch...there were a few areas where guests could reply to posts...I've turned that off.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As the Mission list is currently inactive, I'd like to suggest we leave a little notice on that page. Something along the lines of "We're currently providing our website and servers with some maintenance, the mission list and DL links will be back soon. Thank you for your patience.". Currently, there's nothing to indicate its maintenance. To the eye of a newcomer unfamiliar with TDM, it almost seems like we're promising the world on the site, but no missions have been released.

Imagine if someone comes to the site after getting hyped for TDM, only to find nothing in the missions list. They'll think we're pulling their leg. Bad word of mouth for TDM, regardless of how minor, can put off a lot of people. Especially the fickle types that like to interpret everything in the worst possible hues. Better not give those types ammo, if any of them would run into the site while taaaki is making the necessary hardware and software maintenance.

Edited by Petike the Taffer
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Petike the Taffer said:

As the Mission list is currently inactive, I'd like to suggest we leave a little notice on that page. Something along the lines of "We're currently providing our website and servers with some maintenance, the mission list and DL links will be back soon. Thank you for your patience.". Currently, there's nothing to indicate its maintenance. To the eye of a newcomer unfamiliar with TDM, it almost seems like we're promising the world on the site, but no missions have been released.

Imagine if someone comes to the site after getting hyped for TDM, only to find nothing in the missions list. They'll think we're pulling their leg. Bad word of mouth for TDM, regardless of how minor, can put off a lot of people. Especially the fickle types that like to interpret everything in the worst possible hues. Better not give those types ammo, if any of them would run into the site while taaaki is making the necessary hardware and software maintenance.

 

Even if download links are dead it still makes sense to show the mission list, with a warning

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do you still need help reconstructing the site (especially the mission list)? I am an experienced developer and administrator, maybe I can help?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a bit of a bummer that the small status window on the right has disappeared. It was kind of nice for casual conversations for which you don't want to open a whole new thread. When you click on the "Create" Button at the top, you can actually create a status message, but there doesn't seem to be a way of viewing other people's statuses, is there?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is there any possibility (or configuration on my side) of having notifications have the ability to give the "goto first unread message" or "goto this particular notification/message"?   Right now the notification seems to just be a link to the beginning of the thread, which isn't that efficient.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think this has been mentioned before, but showing the list of names of people reacting to your post was also a cool feature. It's like additional mean of expression, when e.g. someone writes something and you agree, or want to thank them without writing a post.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, peter_spy said:

I think this has been mentioned before, but showing the list of names of people reacting to your post was also a cool feature. It's like additional mean of expression, when e.g. someone writes something and you agree, or want to thank them without writing a post.

Agreed.  I haven't seen any option to enable it, unfortunately.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/13/2019 at 5:28 PM, Sneaker said:

Is there any possibility (or configuration on my side) of having notifications have the ability to give the "goto first unread message" or "goto this particular notification/message"?   Right now the notification seems to just be a link to the beginning of the thread, which isn't that efficient.

I know it's dumb but you have to click on that tiny white circle instead of the thread's title to go to the first unread post. Yeah, tiny. little. circle. ?

  • Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, SeriousToni said:

I know it's dumb but you have to click on that tiny white circle instead of the thread's title to go to the first unread post. Yeah, tiny. little. circle. ?

ahh, i see that now in the "Activity" area... hadn't really seen that area.  i think a link like this will work for me ok ad others can be customized:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?/discover/followed-content/&stream_read=unread&stream_date_type=relative&stream_date_relative_days[val]=365&stream_date_relative_days[unit]=d

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I've been over the custom colour fields and can't find anything that changes that background.  I've lowered the default text to a very light grey so at least you can see that there's text there.  Can't do more than that without reducing the readability everywhere else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


  • Recent Status Updates

    • Nort

      I did it! I finally did it! After 48 hours of frustration and confusion, I managed to finally sort out how to attach equipment to NPC:s properly, and write down coherent instructions on how to do it, both in my manual, and in this forum.
      I can finally rest. I can finally eat breakfast.
      · 0 replies
    • Nort

      Spent most of the day learning and writing about AI navigation. It's stuff I already know, but the magic about writing something down as clearly formulated as possible, is that you then see things that much more clearly. You also find what's unclear to you, and then you figure out exactly how things work. I was hoping to get through it all within just a day, but it looks like this will take tomorrow as well, at this rate. There's also plenty of other nonsense I have to get through as well. Everything's a chore.
      · 0 replies
    • Nort

      I want to be a fish, but I'm not a fish. My mom wants to be a fish too, and so she's killing herself eating plankton and sh***ng blood, and tells me to stop nagging her about taking her medication. I spent several hours today, just lying in bed, having anxiety over just existing, and not being a fish. You fish, you don't know how lucky you are. You can eat all the plankton you want. I tried eating plankton again yesterday, and I just got sick. I hate being a shark.
      · 0 replies
    • Nort

      I just gave myself vertigo. A pleasant kind of vertigo, like the world has been lifted off my shoulders. I'll explain:
      Yesterday I saw to my dismay, that I had made my entire map two - two - units too short on every level - that every set01 piece was sticking 2 units into the ceiling. That's basically 402 brushes that needs to be realigned (minus the ground floor brushes).
      I knew enough about selections to do all of that in a very tense five minutes, and it compiled without leaks. (Thank you so much, Dark Radiant devs, for making an editor with such care for precision that you can align hundreds of brushes perfectly at once (which is not something I can say for Valve's Hammer editor, which has some serious issues on that front, which actually made me just quit it in disgust).) However, the result is that the entire level has now been stretched a barely noticable 2 units, and it will take some getting used to psychologically.
      · 0 replies
    • Nort

      My workflow is basically running from a chain of disasters, eventually trying to seek shelter in former disasters. It's not ideal - it's just my life.
      When I abandoned my first map, it was out of a typical mental breakdown, and so I returned to find a skybox void where the kitchen door should have been (due to a misplaced visportal) and two overlapping brushes Z-fighting on the kitchen floor.
      I've now cleaned up the last bit of mess, by cleanly separating every floor into its own layer. Now I can finally work on each floor in peace.
      ...not that I really needed to. Once you get skilled enough, the orthographic messes, well, I'll let this video speak for itself:
       
      · 1 reply
×
×
  • Create New...