Jump to content

Share your Status / What's on your mind?


STiFU
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Xolvix said:

I haven't been following this much, but from what I can gather it's mostly been led by a couple of dudes on Linus Tech Tips trying to see how well they can go with running a Linux-only system on their regular gaming machines. It's been a mixed experience with Linus having the most trouble due to how an issue with APT on Pop!_OS caused the installation of Steam to effectively uninstall the desktop environment (https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2021/11/system76-patches-apt-for-pop-os-to-prevent-users-breaking-their-systems). I believe the experiences of the LTT folks are genuine and not attempting to demonstrate any FUD especially since they've talked positively about Linux in the past. But from the point of view of the end user trying Linux, when things go bad it's easy to just crawl back to Windows because despite its problems it's at least the devil you know.

If anyone else is trying to piggyback on this by pushing anti-Linux FUD then yeah I have a problem with that. But the videos of people's experiences when done in good faith (very important) are useful if only to demonstrate that there are issues and they do factor into people deciding if moving to Linux is worth it.

I think that video shows Linux Mint is reasonably user friendly but they are treating it as if it's an "Experts Only" option.

Sadly that doesn't paint a good picture either.

As much as I like LTT, I am not inclined to believe they are beyond the reach and influence of a multi-billion dollar company...

  • Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

 

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

 

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, STiFU said:

Nobody cares unfortunately in my region.

We're all going to get infected anyway because it's in the air. The virus gets in our eyes and we're done. Sisyphic efforts.

At least I was infected and had my 15 days in hospital as well as getting vaccinated when it was available. But not everyone finds out the smart thing to do until it's time.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

When I was a noob, I think I played T2 before T1, and First City Bank and Trust was a turning point. It's an immensely complicated tapestry of threats and confusion for the player, and you aren't able to skip as much of the mission as previous ones. Now I can visualize parts of it in my head without having played it for years, so not nearly as hard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I stumbled onto this video: https://youtu.be/-oTfH90psC4. I'm a huge fan of SWAT 4, and was greatly looking forward to its spiritual successor, Ready or Not: https://voidinteractive.net/. Anyways, the video is really good,it points out all the details, which we all know really makes the difference when mapping!

Edited by Frost_Salamander
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Frost_Salamander said:

I stumbled onto this video: https://youtu.be/-oTfH90psC4. I'm a huge fan of SWAT 4, and was greatly looking forward to its spiritual successor, Ready or Not: https://voidinteractive.net/. Anyways, the video is really good,it points out all the details, which we all know really makes the difference when mapping!

I am excited for that game as well. Let's hope the recent controversy regarding a school shooting level will be resolved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Lately I became obsessed with Open source apps which are kept up to date and to customize them to my use. To this end I thought it was long time overdue to replace MS word with Libre Office Writer because I just can't keep up with the new versions and I'm tired of looking for cracks. A big advantage is how compatible Libre Office is with usual MS files.

However, I really wanted to make a proper dark theme work. Atm can't seem to find how to make the toolbars in proper contrast mode. Right now they seem to be in this ugly color where you have the toolbars at the top to be of almost the same gray color as the font they are written in. Is anyone tech savvy enough to figure it out? Nobody on Google doesn't seem to have the same problem as me. 😪

 

Update: Found the solution. Just undo this https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-set-up-libreoffice-writer-like-microsoft-word/

 

It can be uncomfortable to switch to a standard Toolbar after gettingused to Microsoft's sleek Ribbon menus. But you can use ribbons inOffice Writer, too! Go to View > User Interface and select Tabbed. Then click Apply to Writer.

 

So basically revert back to standard toolbar.

Problem fixed.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

heh so i was not the only one who had a hard time with T2 🤣 was starting to belive i sucked at gaming back then but maybe its the style of gameplay that doesnt agree with me ( i was a monster in games like TF and Q3 which eventually got me banned because hey you cant be this good cheat hacks omg xD ).  But certain other game types like T2 and SS2 handed me my ass every single time. Only just recently managed to complete SS2 which should tell you something about the problems i had with this kinda gameplay hehe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone know why is Arial lawful neutral and Cambria is true neutral? Other alignment chart memes put Times New Roman as true neutral.

The problem with Times New Roman is that it was made for typewriters and it doesn't look that great on digital monitors. The least one could do is write in Times New Roman at font 14.

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/Cfk2teeHhGc6rgsM4MmZt4-970-80.jpeg

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
On 10/8/2021 at 10:59 AM, STiFU said:

I just watched this interesting talk on how an indie studio implemented DevOps processes to increase their software quality and productivity. There's some really good advice in there, so I wanted to share it with whomever interested.

 

It's nice to see that gamedev is finally adopting common software development practices, adding this one to my fav GDC vids list :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/17/2022 at 7:28 AM, Anderson said:

Does anyone know why is Arial lawful neutral and Cambria is true neutral? Other alignment chart memes put Times New Roman as true neutral.

The problem with Times New Roman is that it was made for typewriters and it doesn't look that great on digital monitors. The least one could do is write in Times New Roman at font 14.

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/Cfk2teeHhGc6rgsM4MmZt4-970-80.jpeg

I dislike any font that isn't serif'ed. IlliIll like, which of those are L's or i's??

  • Like 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

@STiFUBeen a while but hoping you don't mind I bug you again on this topic.  I lurk in a certain VR discord and saw this paper mentioned https://iovs.arvojournals.org/article.aspx?articleid=2613346.  And it was hypothesized that the conclusions of this research may have significant implications for dynamic focus VR displays, and now I'm kind of wondering about this as well.  The general assumption of the, I guess, "XR community" is that you can solely use various forms of artificial defocus (and not optical vergence) as feedback to guide the eye's accommodation to a desired focus depth, and thus even VR displays capable of displaying only a single varying focus depth (as opposed to a multi-focal display) can actually function: as the user's eyes move from the in focus part of the image to an out of focus part of the image, the artificial defocus blur generated in that out of focus part of the image is considered to be sufficient feedback to trigger the eyes to accommodate to the new focus depth (even though the optical vergence of that part of the image is still incorrect).

But, assuming I'm understanding the paper correctly, without the presence of "genuine" optical vergence corresponding to each potential focus depth in the scene, there wouldn't be sufficient feedback for the eye to accommodate to that depth correctly.  There are apparently many accommodation cues for the human eye, but the claim here seems to be that true optical vergence is necessary.  And wouldn't that mean a multifocal display is necessary?

It seems interesting to me because from what I've gathered over the past few years the varifocal prototypes in various labs are said to "kind of" work for certain people and not work at all for others.  So, even assuming eyetracking were perfect, if they are nonetheless unable to provide the required feedback to guide accommodation, then the very kind of dynamic focus display that everyone is banking on (for the near term) to address the major optical issue with modern VR headsets would seem to be a dead end.  You would instead need something like the CREAL lightfield headset I mentioned a while back.  And facebook recently pushed their timeline for varifocal headsets out from 2022 to ~2030.

(again, assuming I'm even understanding this correctly)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, woah said:

@STiFUBeen a while but hoping you don't mind I bug you again on this topic.  I lurk in a certain VR discord and saw this paper mentioned https://iovs.arvojournals.org/article.aspx?articleid=2613346.  And it was hypothesized that the conclusions of this research may have significant implications for dynamic focus VR displays, and now I'm kind of wondering about this as well.  The general assumption of the, I guess, "XR community" is that you can solely use various forms of artificial defocus (and not optical vergence) as feedback to guide the eye's accommodation to a desired focus depth, and thus even VR displays capable of displaying only a single varying focus depth (as opposed to a multi-focal display) can actually function: as the user's eyes move from the in focus part of the image to an out of focus part of the image, the artificial defocus blur generated in that out of focus part of the image is considered to be sufficient feedback to trigger the eyes to accommodate to the new focus depth (even though the optical vergence of that part of the image is still incorrect).

But, assuming I'm understanding the paper correctly, without the presence of "genuine" optical vergence corresponding to each potential focus depth in the scene, there wouldn't be sufficient feedback for the eye to accommodate to that depth correctly.  There are apparently many accommodation cues for the human eye, but the claim here seems to be that true optical vergence is necessary.  And wouldn't that mean a multifocal display is necessary?

It seems interesting to me because from what I've gathered over the past few years the varifocal prototypes in various labs are said to "kind of" work for certain people and not work at all for others.  So, even assuming eyetracking were perfect, if they are nonetheless unable to provide the required feedback to guide accommodation, then the very kind of dynamic focus display that everyone is banking on (for the near term) to address the major optical issue with modern VR headsets would seem to be a dead end.  You would instead need something like the CREAL lightfield headset I mentioned a while back.  And facebook recently pushed their timeline for varifocal headsets out from 2022 to ~2030.

(again, assuming I'm even understanding this correctly)

I've been out of that area of research for quite some time now, but to me, the findings of that paper are no news. It was always known that vergence is the primary factor to drive accomodation, but that defocus also drives accomodation. It was never stated that defocus alone drives accomodation. So, that XR community was wrong right from the start.

Every stereoscopic content drives vergence. If your stereoscopic stimulus is located 1m behind the display, your eyes will perfectly converge on that point, and they will try to accomodate to that distance. Then your brain realizes "wait a minute?! when I try to accomodate to that distance, everything becomes blurry? What is going on?", and there you have that darned unstable sytem again. How can you solve it? You pretty much mentioned all possible solutions already, except the first one in this list:

  1. Move the focal distance so far away that you don't get defocus cues. --> This is the hyperfocal distance and at that distance, we sadly do not perceive any vergence cues anymore, i.e., you see a 2d display! 😄
  2. Varifocal distance with perfect eyetracking. --> Make vergence distance and focus distance match and combine that with artifical defocus.
  3. Multifocal or lightfield / holographic displays.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2022 at 12:44 PM, STiFU said:

I've been out of that area of research for quite some time now, but to me, the findings of that paper are no news. It was always known that vergence is the primary factor to drive accomodation, but that defocus also drives accomodation. It was never stated that defocus alone drives accomodation. So, that XR community was wrong right from the start.

Every stereoscopic content drives vergence. If your stereoscopic stimulus is located 1m behind the display, your eyes will perfectly converge on that point, and they will try to accomodate to that distance. Then your brain realizes "wait a minute?! when I try to accomodate to that distance, everything becomes blurry? What is going on?", and there you have that darned unstable sytem again. How can you solve it? You pretty much mentioned all possible solutions already, except the first one in this list:

  1. Move the focal distance so far away that you don't get defocus cues. --> This is the hyperfocal distance and at that distance, we sadly do not perceive any vergence cues anymore, i.e., you see a 2d display! 😄
  2. Varifocal distance with perfect eyetracking. --> Make vergence distance and focus distance match and combine that with artifical defocus.
  3. Multifocal or lightfield / holographic displays.

 

Hmm I see, I guess #2 is what I'm wondering about then.  If the artificial defocus ends up being insufficient for robustly driving accommodation and you need the actual wavefront curvature (optical vergence) to be correct, wouldn't that mean varifocal headsets can't work reliably?  Like, I'm imagining some object in the periphery with an unknown focus depth and the combination of focus cues being insufficient to reliably ascertain the sign of defocus.  Or perhaps being able to eventually ascertain the sign of defocus but having to sort of find it by trial and error, or perhaps being able to determine the sign of defocus in 95% of circumstances but that last 5% presenting some difficulties, or perhaps you have some people that are more reliant on certain focus cues vs others--ultimately leading to a technology that "works" but that still provides a bad consumer experience.  I can imagine anything unexpected happening with dynamic focus being worse than a fixed focus (actually, this is something Carmack mentioned in a Q&A session last year).

Just bringing this up as I try to untangle where the challenge and uncertainty is for varifocal headsets (again, the primary hypothesis of XR folks being that wavefront curvature is entirely unnecessary as a focus cue, artificial defocus is sufficient as a focus cue, and eyetracking just needs to be more accurate).  If eyetracking really is the only barrier, then I would assume that at some point you'd have more niche VR hardware companies release something even if it only works for some people and not others--because the lack of dynamic focus is just so vexing of a problem.  I mean, for example you have VR hardware companies like Pimax releasing high cost ultra wide FOV headsets despite those headsets making most people sick with their peripheral distortion.

Moreover, I was really surprised to read in that paper and others (e.g. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6911823/ ) how there are still many questions on the mechanisms of accommodation.  For example, one theory on the mechanism of detecting optical vergence is that different shadows are cast by blood vessels in the retina when light is focused in front of or behind them, and that this is a sort of subconscious cue for accommodation.

Of course I don't expect you to give me a concrete answer about any of this.  I guess it's just helpful to hear from someone knowledgeable that has some distance from the industry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


  • Recent Status Updates

    • STiFU

      Anyone here played Inscryption? At first, I was like "no, I am not going to play a stupid card game", but this game is so much more than that. It is so meta, full of 4th wall breaks, and feels so damn spooky and weird because of it. Absolutely recommended, if you can stand the visuals. I recommend not reading up too much on it, as that could easily spoil half the incredible surprises. Just know that what you see in the beginning is by far not everything.
      · 2 replies
    • freyk

      Tried to make a tdm advertisement commentpost at one of civvie11 youtube videos about T2. Post got marked as spam. His problem (to not discover TDM for himself),..not my problem.
      But some help of some fellow TDM yt-videocomment posters would be nice. To ask him and others, to play TDM. To get more players/creators. 
      · 2 replies
    • datiswous

      Currently Profile Information has 3 fields, these are shown in forum posts under your avatar:
      1. Gender
      2. Location
      3. Interests
      I think that it could be useful to have an extra field called "Operating system" (under location). It can be useful for tech support and to see what people use.
      Alternatively it could be a more general term, like PC system, so that you can for example state that you use an AMD gpu.
      · 2 replies
    • OrbWeaver

      Greetings fellow kids.
      · 11 replies
    • Crafty_Creeper

      Keep on Creeping on...
       
      · 3 replies
×
×
  • Create New...