The Dark Mod Forums

What are considered the best missions TDM has to offer?

Wallace

Top 5 mission votes thread:

See this wiki:

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Mission_recommendation_discussions

I would say that all of Moonbo's missions are essential, all Kingsal missions, all Melan missions, all Grayman missions,

Goldwell's Accountant series and Northdale series,

The Painter's Wife, Behind Closed Doors, Iris, No Honor Among Thieves, Langhorne Lodge, Mandrasola, The Golden Skull, Sir Talbot's Collateral, Noble Affairs, Written in Stone, King of Diamonds, Down by the Riverside, A Score to Settle, Heart of Lone Salvation, Lords and Legacy, Swing, Patently Dangerous, King of the Mountain, Living Expenses, Flakebridge Monastery, Betrayal

Many would say all of Sotha's "Thomas Porter" missions, though these are very difficult / challenging so there is a little controversy about that.

• Like 3

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

The training mission. :)

Nah but seriously (or am I being serious?) the quality of missions these days is really quite high and there's plenty of missions that make great use of modern TDM features by veteran mappers. That said, I personally have a fondness for Moonbo's two FMs (Requiem, A House of Locked Secrets) and always enjoy replaying them due to their grand scale, great music choices and intriguing stories/settings.

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

Well you already got 20 recommendations, but one thing you can do is just go to the downloader and hit missions that have a large file size. Those tend to have more custom assets, etc., and tend to be grander in scale.

6 hours ago, jaxa said:

Those tend to have more custom assets, etc., and tend to be grander in scale

Which is an unarguable sign of quality 🤔

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

It is not so easy to answer and quite subjective. So far I have enjoyed most of the missions.
Perhaps I can name them that I liked the most, not always the largest ones.
Without neglecting others:
Swing, all of Grayman's, especially The Warrens, Sir Tafsalots Sword, naturally Requiem, House of locked secrets, The Black Mage, Spring cleaning is very good for a little while in between, Langhorne Lodge, the Hidden Hands series...

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

10 hours ago, jaxa said:

Well you already got 20 recommendations, but one thing you can do is just go to the downloader and hit missions that have a large file size. Those tend to have more custom assets, etc., and tend to be grander in scale.

I did the oposite to play mostly the smaller missions. Most of the missions in the top 5 lists I haven't played yet.

I recently played In a time of need 2 (and 1), which I thought was a great mission.

.map files can get quite big themselves if there is a lot of brush work.

Not sure if they creep into the “really large” category but Perilous Refuge and Penny Dreadful 2 are both like 50mb and there is a whole lot to them (also great missions).

So yeah obviously archive size isn’t everything - I mean perhaps it’s old fashioned but I usually just read the mission descriptions until something clicks and then give it a try!

We all won't agree on the best of the best missions, but you can't go wrong with any of them really. I seem to have a fondness for the Spoonman missions (Full Moon Fever, The Ravine) as they tend to veer off into elements of fantasy, magic and weirdness. I also like very unique missions like Swing, House of Theo, Illusionists Tower. If you like a nice long episodic saga with lots of Thief world similarities, try the William Steele series. And then there is Iris, which has lots of character depth and universally acclaimed praise.

Iris probably has the best brushwork I've seen thus far, yes. It gets ridiculously ambitious at places - like you want to scream "Calm down! We're astonished already!". It feels a bit cramped, though, but maybe that's intentional.