The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

I think it's time I announced what I'm working on here, as I've been pestering several of you with various issues for about a month now :laugh:. Hopefully I can plug my upcoming project without distracting anyone too much from Bikerdude's lovely images...

I am currently working on my first mission (ever), which has the player... infiltrating the mansion of an eccentric nobleman. Whoa. Your main goal will be to plant a suspicious letter somewhere within, and of course, to loot the place. I love a good story, so expect a healthy number of readables and as much character development as possible.

It will be alright as a stand-alone mission, but I am intending to continue the storyline over the course of... 2-4 subsequent entries -- assuming I don't burn out on TDM (not likely) and real life doesn't get in the way (always possible, but still unlikely).

I am really excited about the plot I've got swirling around and evolving in my head, so I hope you guys will enjoy it as well. It will contain some real-life historical parallels and a bit of inspiration from a few pieces of fiction I've been interested in lately. The (more or less solidified) title will be "The Astronomer," and I'm hoping to release in the next 4-6 weeks (hopefully after some beta testing). World construction is nearing completion, with AI and objectives still mostly to be implemented. (Screenshots forthcoming -- just keep forgetting to capture some when I'm editing.)

Also, since I'm new around here -- I'm 23, living in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and have been playing PC games (and Sega Genesis and NES) for most of my life. Check out my profile for more info, if you're interested ;).

And I'd like to reiterate the incredible work you guys have all done putting this mod together, and the many missions that have already been released. Mods are one of the best reasons to play PC games, and TDM is arguably the best example of that.

Bikerdude -- I'm really looking forward to that cathedral mission, even more so because the plot I'm developing features Builders quite prominently. Can't wait!

Edited by Strider

More vegation work. I'm really glad I started messing with this. Learning quite a bit about baking.

The last batch I did was just modelled leafs baked to ao and normals. This time around I uv mapped one leaf, painted a 512 tex on it, then made a few color variations. Then started cloning, then baked that texture info down into one 2048 tex. Alot easier than trying to paint detail on hundreds of leafs after bake!

The tiles are seamless and I can swap out leaf textures at any time and rebake for a multitude of skins. Next try is some alpha detail on the leafs and see how well that bakes down.

I'm gonna start some new tree branches using this technique.

post-1981-128517809592_thumb.jpg

post-1981-128517809592_thumb.jpg

post-1981-128517811196_thumb.jpg

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Thats looking good. :) Like the variation in the color, the shading, looks good. I know this is a learning process, what about at some point in time, varying the leaves themselves. Right now, they all look so perfect, no leaves are the same anyway, and you know that, but, I just had to say it. Make some dirty leaves, some torn leaves, it would greatly add to the over all look.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any models for discarded clothing? For example, a shirt that's been pulled off and dumped, I'm looking to have something like that in a chest in my FM... you've gotten to your destination dressed normally, you've waited until nightfall, dumped your disguise and are moving out in your thieving gear... except I have no discarded clothing to put in the chest!

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Are there any models for discarded clothing? For example, a shirt that's been pulled off and dumped, I'm looking to have something like that in a chest in my FM... you've gotten to your destination dressed normally, you've waited until nightfall, dumped your disguise and are moving out in your thieving gear... except I have no discarded clothing to put in the chest!

You could probably use patches to create something like that. The problem with such items is that cloth should be flexible: the shirt would be rigid. I made some folded cloths in my WIP using patches and fabric-textures. But basically they're rectangles with round edges.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

The clothing doesn't need to be able to be moved, I just want it there for completion and realism, there's no way you walked into an inn or whatever with all your leather and hood on, and noone said anything, but they all want to kill you when you try to leave. I suppose I could try a patch.

Edit: Are there any plans for the style of the pagan vocals? A friend of mine wants to do some pagan vocals, and I was thinking of making them somewhat like the T3 pagan vocals, but wanted to make sure anything official wasn't radically different.

Edited by Xarg

The clothing doesn't need to be able to be moved, I just want it there for completion and realism, there's no way you walked into an inn or whatever with all your leather and hood on, and noone said anything, but they all want to kill you when you try to leave. I suppose I could try a patch.

One option would to make a texture:

• Find images of a medieval tunic in the net.
  • Image manipulate so it looks what you need. (a castaway shirt, hanging shirt, or nicely folded shirt)
  • Make it into a texture (see wiki)
  • Apply your new cool texture on a patch. You could bend the patch a bit to make it seem more 3d.
  • Place where you need it.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I was thinking of making them somewhat like the T3 pagan vocals,

Please God no.

I'll take that as a 'do not want' then..... I'll try get him to register here and find out how you'd like to do it, saves me being the middle man.