The Dark Mod Forums

Random video of the day...

Bikerdude

How the tunnel is presented the first 2 seconds it does look a lot like one, but I don't know a lot of tricks.

5 hours ago, HMart said:

but a cleaver trick done with real time room swapping

I don't exactly understand what you mean with that. Do you have an example?

Edited by datiswous

Was just a idea, thinking about it better, I'm not sure that is even possible in idtech 4, because of way levels are compiled/baked.

But what i meant with that, was just the act of swapping/changing a room for another during gameplay, outside of the player view or not.

I have seen that done in some Source games, Stanley Parable and some HL2 mods, for example Nightmare House 2.  Rooms that stretch/twist dynamically, change looks or get progressively small, etc.

There's probably various ways to fake this sort of thing in the TDM. Invisible teleportation of the player, like in Illusionist's Tower or By Any Other Name. Various camera tricks. Scripts to move func_staitic walls around inside a caulked surrounding box.

Dynamically stretching and skewing walls isn't so easy. I'm not sure if TDM has the capability to move individual brush vertices, edges, or faces.

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

People talk about it, but I haven't seen it used in TDM. I mean the Prey-like portal thing, where you look into another room, but the view is not static like a camera monitor screen.

I have been thinking that I could fake the effect (with limitations) with an x-ray screen (combined with teleportation), but I still have to try it out..

Edited by datiswous

2 hours ago, datiswous said:

People talk about it, but I haven't seen it used in TDM. I mean the Prey-like portal thing, where you look into another room, but the view is not static like a camera monitor screen.

TDM has no Prey like Portal capability but I assume, it should have the capability to do a portal view effect that does what you said, like Doom 3 RoE did the portal sky effect, see the link bellow, unfortunately didn't found a TDM wiki entry for portal sky, so perhaps I'm wrong about TDM or was never used.

https://modwiki.dhewm3.org/How_to_add_a_sky

• 2 weeks later...

Oh vey, baby, it has begun:

https://piped.kavin.rocks/watch?v=Qz3u06eXf0E

@Amadeus: Have you watched the first two episodes? I did not till now...I think I will wait for the DVD.

I dare saying this series is even better than BB.

This really breaks my heart. Why can't I be the one doing a show like that? It is so depressing!

On 4/7/2022 at 4:48 AM, thebigh said:

Dynamically stretching and skewing walls isn't so easy. I'm not sure if TDM has the capability to move individual brush vertices, edges, or faces.

Well, if you can make a sliding wall (door), you can make a sliding room (to expand a hallway), or make a room smaller by moving all the walls + ceiling inwards. I would think.. So much to try out.

8 minutes ago, datiswous said:

Well, if you can make a sliding wall (door), you can make a sliding room (to expand a hallway), or make a room smaller by moving all the walls + ceiling inwards. I would think.. So much to try out.

I think it might be hard to make a room that starts off rectangular, then becomes a parallelogram by having one of its walls slide. The two adjoining walls would have to stretch and skew along with it. Possible to fake with simultaneously rotating the two adjoining walls, but not perfectly because for this kind of motion dtheta/dt is not constant.

About twenty years ago I made a map or two in Duke Nukem 3D. There were some effects that were possible in that engine that just aren't in Dark Radiant. Being actually more of a 2.5D game, it was sector based and you'd basically just plop down a floor plan in top down view, then decide on the altitude of the floor and ceilings. DOOM was similar. There was rudimentary 3D support by allowing you to have overlapping sectors, provided the entrances to both sectors were not simultaneously visible to the player- although intended to crudely allow multiple floors, this feature was leveraged to allow two overlapping but disconnected areas. One of the official multiplayer maps used this to create a "circular" torus shaped arena that you'd have to run around 720 degrees to reach your original location. That wouldn't be possible in TDM without very clever teleporter manipulation.

Other tricks that were achievable were undulating corridors, where you'd take the corner vertices of the corridor and attach them to the corner vertices of invisible rotating sectors- as the rotating sector swivelled around it would carry the wall vertex with it, causing the wall to appear to move like you're inside the writhing guts of a huge creature. Without being able to control individual edges or vertices of brushes, I don't see how such an effect could be achieved in TDM.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

18 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

: Have you watched the first two episodes? I did not till now...I think I will wait for the DVD.

Not yet, I'll be watching it after the weekend :D I'll let you know how it is

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 3 weeks later...

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Pretty good LCD quality for the early 1990s. The brightness of the OS environment demonstrates the variation in contrast that the screen can do rather well, it looks like the brightness in the actual game is set quite low.

Also there is minimal smearing and the colors are good too.  Running 3D games, or really any game with fast motion on a budget laptop back then generally looked like ass.

Edited by kano
  • Like 1

Wow , the other bikers are actually polygons! Also, I love how the entire screen tilts while making sharp turns, and how the camera starts to violently jump about whenever you go on the grass, simulating the feeling of being out of control.

Edited by kano