The Dark Mod Forums

[2.11] New Blackjack System (available via dev build)

Obsttorte

Yeah I would say I agree with @stgatilov - while I think it does work as is you probably need less movement of the blackjack to make the indicator effective and the shorter the animation that still fulfills the intended purpose the better probably.

Though the visibility issue in dark area makes sense - I haven’t really run into this personally yet so couldn’t say how much of an issue that is.

Three possible approaches come to mind:

1. Make it adjustable. Maybe not a slider, as players shouldn't spend half an hour finetuning the animation. But if there would be two or three options to choose from, it may be a good start. I cannot make the animation raise higher, though, without a new animation.
  2. Make it depending on the current player illumination a.k.a. lightgem value. In dark areas rise the blackjack higher, in lit areas lower.
  3. A generally lower arm raising, so it is less distracting, but add the same time an acoustical hint that tells you the arm is raised, even if you cannot clearly see it. (As well as an acoustical hint for lowering the blackjack).

Personally I guess I would be in favor of (3) probably, although I am not someone who would use the system at all, so I can life with all approaches. But I am all for the argument of making it as less intrusive as possible and not a big fan of unnecessary costumization, so (1) would be my last resort.

I am open for suggestion, of course.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

3 hours ago, stgatilov said:

Perhaps add a bit of highlight to raised blackjack?
That would fix the problem with dark areas.

Adjustable highlight?

3 hours ago, Obsttorte said:

Make it depending on the current player illumination a.k.a. lightgem value. In dark areas rise the blackjack higher, in lit areas lower.

Instead make the highlight stronger in dark areas?

3 hours ago, stgatilov said:

To be honest, I can't understand how raising the blackjack higher is supposed to help in pitch black area's where you don't see the blackjack.

It probably doesn't, but usually light sources are set higher (in height) and therefore it will be easier to see if the blackjack is raised higher, but it isn't the best solution.

Edited by datiswous

8 hours ago, datiswous said:

Adjustable highlight?

Instead make the highlight stronger in dark areas?

You don't need to make it adjustable.

Since TDM rendering is gamma-incorrect, the same highlight will automatically be more visible when added to dark color. Adding it to bright color will be hardly visible.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...