The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The House of deLisle

thebigh

Greetings taffers,

Here's an early Halloween offering for you, a spooky little haunted house mission. Content warnings include zombies, spiders, and body horror.

I set myself a challenge to fit the whole thing in a 1024x1280x1024 box-- mappertools, skybox, everything-- so opening this beast up in DarkRadiant might be the most horrifying thing about it.

I'm grateful to my beta testers, as well as various people who put music and sound effects on the net for free, so be sure to check the Notes in the Dark Mod mission selection menu.

It may be small, but it should take ~45 minutes for a first playthrough. Enjoy!

Third mission in my series.

Edited by thebigh
typo
  • Thanks 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

Congrats!

The mission has been added to the mission database. I will need a 2nd screenshot so the images show on the missions page.

https://www.thedarkmod.com/missiondetails/?internalName=delisle

• Thanks 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

8 minutes ago, nbohr1more said:

I will need a 2nd screenshot so the images show on the missions page.

Here you go:

del_promo2.thumb.jpg.fa0bbf1b788108cd0fe13e55905b50e7.jpg

• Like 2

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

Congrats on the release, and thanks! Also,

10 hours ago, thebigh said:

I set myself a challenge to fit the whole thing in a 1024x1280x1024 box-- mappertools, skybox, everything-- so opening this beast up in DarkRadiant might be the most horrifying thing about it.

made me laugh 😁. I have to look! (after I finish it, of course)

• Like 1

Just finished it. Found only 3 secrets so I might give it another go!

This is easily your best mission thus far. The haunted house is packed with details and thick with atmosphere. The lightning illuminating the corridors - I've got no words, that was really well done and added to the tension. Great job with the haunts, too. And you didn't rely on cheap screamers to make it scary!

Spoiler

The staring skulls were super unnerving. I figured this is what happens to intruders, but I didn't expect to actually see it when I got caught. Really nice touch!

• Like 3

Atmosphere and lighting were stellar! Loved the extra mile you went with the effects!

Spoiler

I loved the big/small effects, like sealing the front door off and the mushrooms sprouting everywhere at the end. I love a good slow burn instead of a thousand jumpscares!

I can be a bit oblivious, but is there no way to escape once you have the medallion? I have crept around and checked the basement, attic, etc. I thought the window in the front room might be breakable, but no luck.

Edited by Uncertain Title
  • Like 1

Spoiler

You can make a means of escape by creating a large enough threat to the house that the ghost controlling it is distracted. Make sure to read the dead thief's notes thoroughly to learn how.

Edited by thebigh
fix

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

18 minutes ago, thebigh said:
  Hide contents

You can make a means of escape by creating a large enough threat to the house that the ghost controlling it is distracted. Make sure to read the dead thief's notes thoroughly to learn how.

Spoiler

I have found 2: The one at the foot of the bloodied door, and one in the attic hidey-hole. Did I miss a third somewhere?

That's both of them. The contents should hopefully give you a decent clue on how to proceed, particularly about what the guy says about flammable white mushrooms and how to use them.

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

I enjoy a lot this little mission, congrats. It is very well done with interesting and novel details 🏆

To make it a little easier for those who need it, the spiders can be killed by throwing a box on them and the ghosts can be blocked, at least temporarily, using the boxes and packages in the attic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

I couldn't help it and played it yesterday night, just the fix I needed, thanks!!! 🙂

Spoiler

No joy in the ground floor...

delisle-2023-10-01-20-51-13-276-56-152-8

No joy in the basement....

delisle-2023-10-01-20-53-16-233-86-200-9

Upstairs we go but, she's at the top of the stairs stuck, going round in circles...

delisle-2023-10-01-20-56-37-369-31-494-5

I made some noises and she finally came down. I sneaked through to the first floor and *it* just happened by chance in the study. What? Why? Anyway, I am outta here!

Back on the way home I started getting the feeling this wouldn't end here. Something else was lurking in the shadows in that house. A presence that didn't take part on the events... watching things unfold.... following... me.

delisle-2023-10-01-20-31-21-358-1-248-72

• Like 3

TDM Modpack 4.0

2 hours ago, tib said:

Seems i am a little down under, but really don't know what to do with the pot full of mushrooms. Is there a clue in readables about? Where is the fire and how can i get out from the house?

Spoiler

Look for a room full of dry, easily flammable material and it will catch alight on its own.

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

2 hours ago, snatcher said:
Spoiler

Something else was lurking in the shadows in that house. A presence that didn't take part on the events... watching things unfold.... following... me.

Spoiler

Heh, you found Dewdrop! Well, sort of

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

Nice mission! Lighting, sound, effects all fit perfectly. As other have said, spooky without the typical jump scares. I especially liked the

Spoiler

eyes in the skulls, and the "undeath" effect.

I really struggled with

Spoiler

carrying that damn pot around, looking for a place to start the fire. I guess that makes sense, probably isn't easy to sneak around carrying a big pot in front of you.

Great stuff, thanks!

• Thanks 1

I just finished it last night, absolutely fantastic mission! This was a blast; love the design, the atmosphere, the lighting. I also love that ... 

Spoiler

you made spiders actually scary! I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention just how uncomfortable those eyes in the skull were... that was unnerving to say the least.

This FM was short, sweet, and definitely your best yet! Well done!

• Thanks 1

Great mission!  Can all the secrets be found before you take the necklace?  I ask because (on expert) there seems to be at least one that is only accessible after you take the necklace, namely

Spoiler

a ring in the grid over the lava pit which appears in the room where you take the necklace.

Are there any others like that?

• Like 1