The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: A Night in Altham

joebarnin

Damn, what a multistage FM!

Spoiler

And the skeletons chasing you in the sewer waters! The experience is just amazing!

Little graphic issue in the levers room: 

https://i.postimg.cc/3NnDs71n/The-Dark-Modx64-2023-12-05-11-06-14-340.jpg

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Congratulations on the release!

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

Hi, happy to post again in this forum! I presented myself a couple of years ago, if you can remember, and now I'm quite an experienced player. I hope that I'll be able to post more frequently now, if it's well accepted as I probably will never find the time to directly contribute to this project...but never say never.

Spoiler

I'm halfway playing this behemoth of a mission with the highest of the three difficulty settings available at mission start, and I'm having a lot of fun.

Maybe on the purely visual level the outdoor city sections (at least the first ones, those I visited at the moment) are more old school and a bit simpler than some of the new releases, but I think it's an aesthetic choice, given the percentage of the pure, old school brushwork used. I also played Now and Then in the past which had the more modern visual apperance of many recent missions, probably because of the use of modules, so I think it's a matter of tastes and aesthetics. I like this simpler aesthetic, even if in my opinion it gives its best with the static lighting and the pixelated graphics of old school shooters played with nearest texture filtering.

Gameplay-wise I find the mission really, really fun, not too hard, not too easy (I went for the almost-ghost playstyle with stealth score 0 in my mind), the occasional puzzles are fun and easily solvable, which for me in a game like TDM it's almost always a big plus. And it's huge, I don't even know if I'm really halfway through it...

I also appreciated what I think are little literary citations here and there.

I'm finding it a really fun and quality mission overall, congratulations for this (and for Now and Then too!) 😀

I also found what I suspect is a bug:

Spoiler

I opened the grate (only openable with its key, frobbable from a patrolling guard) which ends the first city section after the warehouse, passed through it and closed it behind myself. If I try to open the grate again, this time from the other side obviously, the grate opens, but the inner part of another similar grate appears behind it, blocking me and preventing me to come back to where I came from.

I'm playing on Debian 12 Gnu/Linux 64 bit with the highest of the three difficulty settings available.

Edited by Dave the Taffer
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave the Taffer said:
Spoiler

I opened t grate (only openable with its key, frobbable from a patrolling guard) which ends the first city section after the warehouse, passed through it and closed it behind myself. If I try to open the grate again, this time from the other side obviously, the grate opens, but the inner part of another similar grate appears behind it, blocking me and preventing me to come back to where I came from.

Crap. That’s a bug alright. There is another way out. Or, noclip through the obstruction. Sorry about that. 

21 hours ago, joebarnin said:

Crap. That’s a bug alright. There is another way out. Or, noclip through the obstruction. Sorry about that.

I just logged in to say that that wasn't necessary to

Spoiler

close and reopen the grate, it was sufficient to simply pass it and look behind

to trigger the bug, but I see that you've already fixed it! 😀

Spoiler

I also found the "other way out", it was one of those "Ohh!" moments 😆

Spoiler

Technical question: I inserted this spoiler by error, how do I remove it from the smartphone interface?

Now I'm way deeper into the mission, it's really a great one.

15 hours ago, Dave the Taffer said:

Technical question: I inserted this spoiler by error, how do I remove it from the smartphone interface?

You have to tap on the title (Spoiler) and then tap backspace.

afbeelding.png.1e6749084c460acafdb7567e4a05448c.png

Works similar with code (<>) blocks.

The mobile (portrait view) editor recently got some more buttons (I asked Taaaki), but it's still a selection of probably most used ones.

Edited by datiswous
  • Thanks 1

Congrats for the Release --- yoouuu     Grazy Bastard    😁
and thanks for this hint at the beginning !      That you´ve changed the LOOT !
at first sight I thought it´s a Bug --- but I got distrusted - and checked the beta !
ooohkay - you deleted one of the most difficult --- and you added some new (for Beta-Testers 🙃 )
that´s why there are 430 Saves , I realy searched every impossible Place
But this new one is sooooo grazy !!!
(thankfully I love to climb - and couse of your tip i searched for every wooden material )
[ for your Tip : this time i sneaked him several times ] 
and here is my only displeasure - invisible Platforms Completed = grrrrrr
so the only chance - is to do it like intended !
(but I´ll keep the Beta - your rocks are so beautifull to climb )
And to force others !!!       Supreme Ghost is possible !!!   (easier than on my BetaRun)
1.  The Hint
2. Things to bring back
3. Booty at end of  happening 
Thanks       I was enjoying (nearly) every minute of it 

Spoiler

altham(2023-12-0717-28-46)(6271.21-1772.17948.25).thumb.jpg.f3aeb59bc3cebf356e9a50ca43be4b37.jpg
image.thumb.jpeg.79e4b48d637a8bfdbd204e1b6bfa06f0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.14c3de5ecd84f525556e00db4727a8d6.jpeg

image.jpeg.994978ad7fd981d07f6939d1419ff7aa.jpeg

image.jpeg.b7fa19fc57ddb02e89877e576bfcbe96.jpeg

Edited by Bergante
arrange Pics (never works like it should)

Does anyone know where the crown is so i can put the spooky scary skeletons back to bed? ive ran up and down the east sewers now found the dagger and scepter and honestly just godmodded to kill the skellies so i could run up and down easier looking for the crown. ive checked every possible route that rowe COULD have taken running out of the tomb and i honestly just cant find it. its not on any bodies of the skeletons as far as i can tell and not in any of the rooms. im afraid its somewhere in the horrible water recflecting jank water and ill have to crawl up and down for it. if anyone knows where it is im not afraid of spoilers i just wanna play more of this fun map. im a completeionist you see. 

• Like 1