Jump to content
The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?


Springheel

Recommended Posts

I'm absolutely going to do a few more detail passes before I release it. This is probably only about 60% done, and it's definitely still too clean-looking

  • Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

                                      Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

                                                                                                  A House Call

                                                                                                  The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

                              

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, thebigh said:

For the second screenshot I increased the gamma just so you can see what's going on- I'm really trying to avoid that milky grey look you get with high gamma and ambient.

I always crank up gamma. Maybe I'll stop once I get a proper OLED/microLED display.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jaxa said:

I always crank up gamma. 

And I always wondered why I have to set gamma so low in-game, with a monitor with a near perfect gamma.

In most games, I don't have to do that. 9 out of 10 display absolutely perfect, and I don't have to change anything.

Edited by chakkman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2023 at 7:18 AM, HMart said:

John Carmack the main idTech 4 developer once said, "best way to mesure performance is not FPS numbers but frame timing" and I agree, we tend to mesure game performance by counting higher and higher fps's but you can have a very responsive and playable game at 30fps, if the frame timing is constant and a very lagging game if not, even if the fps numbers are 60 or higher.

 

I was just reading a post over on TTLG about Thirith's experience playing Sable when he realized the game played significantly more smoothly, and the movement control was less wonky, at 30 fps than 60 fps, and then I see your post explaining just that.

Edit: I should have double checked the date. I didn't realize when I clicked the thread that it didn't take me to the latest page but evidently to the last point I had read up to, which was more than 2 months ago. Sorry about that. Well it's still an interesting thing to point out anyway.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, demagogue said:

 

I was just reading a post over on TTLG about Thirith's experience playing Sable when he realized the game played significantly more smoothly, and the movement control was less wonky, at 30 fps than 60 fps, and then I see your post explaining just that.

Edit: I should have double checked the date. I didn't realize when I clicked the thread that it didn't take me to the latest page but evidently to the last point I had read up to, which was more than 2 months ago. Sorry about that. Well it's still an interesting thing to point out anyway.

Not only that but IMO today with Nvidia AI frame generation (or any equivalent tech that AMD may eventually come up with), frame rate numbers lost all their meaning (at lest with frame generation turned on), with DLSS3 FG you can have a "60" fps game that can feel like a or less than a 30 fps game ( on input lag and if that is the base frame rate from where DLSS AI is working from).

High frame rate numbers are a good way to sell GPU's ...

Edited by HMart
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, HMart said:

Not only that but IMO today with Nvidia AI frame generation (or any equivalent tech that AMD may eventually come up with), frame rate numbers lost all their meaning (at lest with frame generation turned on), with DLSS3 FG you can have a "60" fps game that can feel like a or less than a 30 fps game ( on input lag and if that is the base frame rate from where DLSS AI is working from).

High frame rate numbers are a good way to sell GPU's ...

I heard frame generation works better when there are already a lot of frames, covering for the input lag issue. So it will probably be one of the tricks used to hit 500-1000 FPS.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HMart said:

Not only that but IMO today with Nvidia AI frame generation (or any equivalent tech that AMD may eventually come up with), frame rate numbers lost all their meaning (at lest with frame generation turned on), with DLSS3 FG you can have a "60" fps game that can feel like a or less than a 30 fps game ( on input lag and if that is the base frame rate from where DLSS AI is working from).

High frame rate numbers are a good way to sell GPU's ...

 

Well, as someone who has a 240hz freesync monitor and the requisite hardware, I want even more frames. Not only that, but the higher you go in frame rates, the less effect that uneven frame times will have on your experience.

When you have 16.6ms between frames at 60fps, having those frames show up on your screen in a timely window is really important.

But, when there's only 4.16 ms between each frame on your screen, well it starts to matter less.

And now that we have 500hz displays we're talking 2 ms between each frame being generated and thrown on screen, so if it's slightly late, you might get a gap of 3 ms? That's not noticeable anymore.

All of this matters only if you have the requisite hardware to push those frame rates of course.

  • Like 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, AluminumHaste said:

Well, as someone who has a 240hz freesync monitor and the requisite hardware, I want even more frames. Not only that, but the higher you go in frame rates, the less effect that uneven frame times will have on your experience.

When you have 16.6ms between frames at 60fps, having those frames show up on your screen in a timely window is really important.

But, when there's only 4.16 ms between each frame on your screen, well it starts to matter less.

And now that we have 500hz displays we're talking 2 ms between each frame being generated and thrown on screen, so if it's slightly late, you might get a gap of 3 ms? That's not noticeable anymore.

All of this matters only if you have the requisite hardware to push those frame rates of course.

I have an 144 Hz monitor for a couple of years. My main wish is for TDM to never go bellow 120 FPS, which still happens on low settings but is still pretty good compared to the past. I use VSync as I don't see any benefit in stressing the video card for more frames than the monitor can render, problem is it's still hard to reach the monitor refresh limit constantly.

Regarding other bottlenecks like input lag or perceived performance, it would help a lot if the engine had native Wayland support on Linux rather than still going through X11, still yet to happen to my knowledge. I use the stock amdgpu driver and performance is pretty amazing all in all, latest dev snapshot did wonders and it will prolly get even better :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not anti frame rates if that was the idea i passed ;D nor I think playing at 30fps is equal to 60fps or higher, I'm just saying that in a uneven frame timing scenario, playing at constant 30fps can feel smoother (less stuttery) than at very uneven 60fps or higher and that is true, but in a equal situation, I will prefer 60fps (or more) above 30fps any day! (real frame rates not AI fake ones...)

Edited by HMart
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, MirceaKitsune said:

I have an 144 Hz monitor for a couple of years. My main wish is for TDM to never go bellow 120 FPS, which still happens on low settings but is still pretty good compared to the past. I use VSync as I don't see any benefit in stressing the video card for more frames than the monitor can render, problem is it's still hard to reach the monitor refresh limit constantly.

Regarding other bottlenecks like input lag or perceived performance, it would help a lot if the engine had native Wayland support on Linux rather than still going through X11, still yet to happen to my knowledge. I use the stock amdgpu driver and performance is pretty amazing all in all, latest dev snapshot did wonders and it will prolly get even better :)

Vsync while nice that it gets rid of screen tearing, also causes so many performance problems. From stuttering (60-30-15 etc) but it's been proven that fps higher than monitor refresh rate has benefits to input lag and feel of smoothness.

Instead try this, set TDM to com_maxfps 200, then use something like https://gitlab.com/torkel104/libstrangle to cap your FPS to 144 with no vertical sync on. For example, on my computer I set TDM to 300 fps cap, and use Rivatuner to cap FPS to 238 FPS, so it's always within the freesync window and get no tearing and no input lag. So even when the game chugs down to 150-180 fps on certain maps, it still feels smooth without having to use Vsync.
Freesync/Gsync is a really nice technology.
But if I set TDM to cap at 240FPS then it doesn't do that, it will fluctuate all over the place.

I know the Linux world for gaming is fraught with poor support for features compared to Windows, but it's worth trying.

I can't tell you how many people complain about performance and stuttering etc, only to find them running 16xAA and Vsync set to on.

 

For years I was on team "60 FPS is more than enough", until I got a computer with a 120hz panel because I didn't have a choice and I've never looked back.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, datiswous said:

What is the difference between these 2 cap settings?

Okay, here's an example. When I limit FPS in game with com_maxfps 240, the frametime graph looks like this.

kqvpqVS.png

First off, it's not even hitting 240 fps 4.16 ms / frame, it's way over at 4.9 ms avg. This also feels bad in game as the frame times are inconsistent, though not terrible.

If I set the engine to com_maxfps 300 and use RivaTuner to limit FPS to 240 I get this.

n3Oiv9R.png

 

Right on 240 fps with only a small dip every now and then to 239/238 fps. And that is way smoother in game.
I could turn on Vsync, but even then it's not as good.

For example, in this scene, I get decent performance with VSync on, but with frametime inconsistencies.

860Xgy5.png

But when I turn off Vsync and use Rivatuner to cap FPS at 240 fps.

bPU6ggr.png

Notice the in game FPS counter is not accurate.

  • Like 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, datiswous said:

So the ingame max fps setting is ignored in this case, because it's handled by RivaTuner?

Not ignored there is always an in engine frame rate cap applied in TDM, the max being 300 FPS (kind of), that's why you need to set the in-game FPS cap to something much higher, for me 300fps and then set RivaTuner to limit lower than that (i.e. 240 fps).


Rivatuner's driver measures on frame generation is started I believe, so when the frame is starting in the pipeline, measures the time difference until the next frame is starting in the pipeline or something like that. And then you can add up those frame times and avg them over a time period. The default is 1 second avg, but you can change that if you want to something lower. Set it to 0 to turn off averaging and just show each frame time, but at high frame rates it's unreadable blurry mess if they change.

 

Here's the options you can pick in RivaTuner

rsgkQdP.png

 

And the technical description of Frametime Calculation Point:

R7lwqCk.png

  • Like 2

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/14/2023 at 4:01 AM, grodenglaive said:

getting close, I think (hope).

 

These are some really cool screenshots! Glad to see you've taken up DR and are working on an FM. If you'll permit me one suggestion, I think you should have some hills and elevated terrain in the yard in that second image. The yard and paths look pretty flat and could definitely use some height variation.

Edited by Amadeus
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Amadeus said:

These are some really cool screenshots! Glad to see you've taken up DR and are working on an FM. If you'll permit me one suggestion, I think you should have some hills and elevated terrain in the yard in that second image. The yard and paths look pretty flat and could definitely use some height variation.

Thank you! Yes the yard is pretty flat overall, I'll see what I can do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, grodenglaive said:

Thank you! Yes the yard is pretty flat overall, I'll see what I can do.

And in terms of the long stretch of wall that surrounds the property in the second picture, I would recommend breaking that up with perhaps a stable, a guard tower, a garden shed, or maybe even something as simple as a wall-mounted fountain. Just consider something to break up that long stretch of wall, which will go far in generating visual interest

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Amadeus said:

And in terms of the long stretch of wall that surrounds the property in the second picture, I would recommend breaking that up with perhaps a stable, a guard tower, a garden shed, or maybe even something as simple as a wall-mounted fountain. Just consider something to break up that long stretch of wall, which will go far in generating visual interest

A garden shed sounds good, thanks! Now that you mention it, they could use a garden too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, grodenglaive said:

A garden shed sounds good, thanks! Now that you mention it, they could use a garden too.

As a hobbyist vegetable gardner myself, I always think TDM missions could use more gardens :D

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recent Status Updates

    • Ansome

      Turns out my 15th anniversary mission idea has already been done once or twice before! I've been beaten to the punch once again, but I suppose that's to be expected when there's over 170 FMs out there, eh? I'm not complaining though, I love learning new tricks and taking inspiration from past FMs. Best of luck on your own fan missions!
      · 4 replies
    • The Black Arrow

      I wanna play Doom 3, but fhDoom has much better features than dhewm3, yet fhDoom is old, outdated and probably not supported. Damn!
      Makes me think that TDM engine for Doom 3 itself would actually be perfect.
      · 6 replies
    • Petike the Taffer

      Maybe a bit of advice ? In the FM series I'm preparing, the two main characters have the given names Toby and Agnes (it's the protagonist and deuteragonist, respectively), I've been toying with the idea of giving them family names as well, since many of the FM series have named protagonists who have surnames. Toby's from a family who were usually farriers, though he eventually wound up working as a cobbler (this serves as a daylight "front" for his night time thieving). Would it make sense if the man's popularly accepted family name was Farrier ? It's an existing, though less common English surname, and it directly refers to the profession practiced by his relatives. Your suggestions ?
      · 9 replies
    • nbohr1more

      Looks like the "Reverse April Fools" releases were too well hidden. Darkfate still hasn't acknowledge all the new releases. Did you play any of the new April Fools missions?
      · 5 replies
    • The Black Arrow

      Hope everyone has the blessing of undying motivation for "The Dark Mod 15th Anniversary Contest". Can't wait to see the many magnificent missions you all may have planned. Good luck, with an Ace!
      · 0 replies
×
×
  • Create New...