The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

1 hour ago, refl3ks said:

Had to backpeddle on Vertigo after all the features added in the latest Dark Radiant release. Here is an image of the FM utilizing some of these features. 

Holly s*** that graphically, for a TDM mission, is very impressive indeed, very professional.  😲

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2023 at 12:05 AM, refl3ks said:

Had to backpeddle on Vertigo after all the features added in the latest Dark Radiant release. Here is an image of the FM utilizing some of these features. 

6ytpK4M.png

Amazing! Only if that tree could cast alpha shadows...

• Thanks 1

It looks very pretty, but (i.m.o.) I don't see anything in it that is not tdm-recognisable, apart from the daylight. I mean, I'm not surprised tdm can do this.

8 hours ago, kin said:

Amazing! Only if that tree could cast alpha shadows...

What would happen if shadow maps were used. I guess the tree parts also need to be semi-transparent..

Edited by datiswous
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, datiswous said:

It looks very pretty, but (i.m.o.) I don't see anything in it that is not tdm-recognisable, apart from the daylight. I mean, I'm not surprised tdm can do this.

What would happen if shadow maps were used. I guess the tree parts also need to be semi-transparent..

True just haven't seen this type of prettiness yet. As for trees casting alpha shaodws, I'm afraid that won't work by default, and I wish this were fixed in vanilla: The leaf material has "noshadows" enabled... I think: What we need is to only use noshadows on transparent materials if shadowmaps or alpha texture shadow casting are disabled, otherwise cast shadows... I enabled those settings but for me trees still cast shadows only from the trunk, I think the noshadows flag needs to be removed from some surfaces.

Edit: I might be wrong on that. Looking in tdm_models_decls01.pk4 at materials/tdm_models_nature_trees.mtr the materials with "leaves" in their name don't have the "noshadows" flag. But then why didn't I see shadows cast by lights on trees even with r_shadowMapAlphaTested set to 1? I'm positive I looked in Seeking Lady Leicester and it wasn't working for the small trees and plants in the yard, either from my lantern or lamps I think shined over the trees.

Edited by MirceaKitsune

• 2 months later...

My favorite kind of update... Assets that not only looks stunning, but that I can actually hope to access and use in a map! Everybody wins! 😃

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

33 minutes ago, Wellingtoncrab said:

Yep! These will be in a CC0 asset pack that hopefully will release before or with the mission.

Let me just be the first to say.... I vote "before" :D 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2023 at 4:38 AM, MirceaKitsune said:

Always love when I get around to designing a cozy looking tavern. What would I do without the AI table prefabs, much as food and cutlery starts flying around everywhere whenever they get alerted no matter how you try fixing them :P

I notice now that the sitting pose of ai is like they're leaning, but in this case there's no back to lean on.

I guess there's that shining mirror plate. If you don't want it to reflect, you could remove the reflection from the material?

On 11/8/2023 at 10:38 PM, MirceaKitsune said:

Always love when I get around to designing a cozy looking tavern. What would I do without the AI table prefabs, much as food and cutlery starts flying around everywhere whenever they get alerted no matter how you try fixing them :P

y8sSRKe.jpg

tqlQAjJ.jpg

Ppk6Ket.jpg

All of those items should be static models, not entities with collision.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

33 minutes ago, AluminumHaste said:

Ask of those items should be static models, not entities with collision.

Which do you mean? The architecture itself is func_static of course, the tables are based on the AI eating / gambling prefabs so the only physical things are cutlery and food.

Edited by MirceaKitsune