The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

On 4/8/2023 at 9:20 AM, JackFarmer said:

The problem with the FPS counter is that it is quite unreliable when it comes to determining how the game runs on other computer configurations. Therefore, you should always use the previously mentioned commands to check. It might also be a good idea to do some kind of alpha performance testing. @Zerg Rush machine is a kind of benchmark for me; if the game runs badly on his machine, then many others will have problems as well in my experience.

How this is to be evaluated technically, I don't know exactly either, and I've heard several opinions on why certain things are very demanding. My experience is just:

1. Keep light radii in larger scenes as small as possible and preferably not overlapping.
  2. Too many entities in large scenes have bad effects - use LOD where possible.
  3. Design portals in such a way that they close. In one of your screenshots you can see only closed portals on the right side and a large number of open portals on the left side, which raises the question what these portals are supposed to do and what would also explain the number of draw calls.
  4. Duzenko says that Draw Calls should always be around 2,500 - Springheel once said that they should not be above 4,500. However, I have noticed in beta tests that some people had problems with their computers when the draws were over 4,500.
  5. Shadow count should be (as Springs once mentioned) below 80,000. I also noticed that this has a big effect. This can be reduced significantly if you proceed as described in "1." above. But your shadow count is zero. Can this be correct or is this defective? @nbohr1more

After the last update to 2.11 it seems that the Missions, which before caused a low FPS in my laptop, like Lucy's Quest or Writen in Stone, now are working with an playable 30+

Edited by Zerg Rush

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

• 5 weeks later...

Pretty cool!

As a general rule, Doom 3 \ TDM engines both like long narrow tunnels like this. Dram did a bunch of experiments with different map designs and found that long and thin maps can be enormous and still have great performance. I think this is why "No Honor Among Thieves" has lots of long + thin areas. The designers took Dram's findings into consideration.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2023 at 7:39 PM, Goldwell said:

A new screenshot from Shadows of Northdale Act 3

Ooo... nice! Excellent use of the new "god rays" functionality, and I can see your usual attention to detail in there as well. I'm looking forward to playing this.

• Thanks 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

Holy crap you're use of lighting is godly I love it so much!

Can't wait, I love your Volta series.

Just a suggestion, for higher quality screenshots, make sure to set r_screenshot_format png to reduce colour banding.

Also, and I'm sure this is already set, but make sure Color Precision is set to 64 in Video->Advanced.

• Like 3

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Yeah, seeing work that quality just makes mine look crummy and inadequate. Well, I mean, it is garbage but you don't need to rub it in. 😜

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

7 hours ago, thebigh said:

Yeah, seeing work that quality just makes mine look crummy and inadequate. Well, I mean, it is garbage but you don't need to rub it in. 😜

Knock it off!  Down and Out on Newford Road was fantastic!

(I know you're just joking around, but still...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm just aware of my limitations as a mapper, and also aware that the rage these days is for enormous sprawling missions that take hours, where I prefer smaller maps. I might be able to make a few missions that are fun to play, but I haven't got a Volta or an Iris in me.

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, thebigh said:

Well, here's some teasers for a haunted house mission I'm hoping to get done by Halloween. For the second screenshot I increased the gamma just so you can see what's going on- I'm really trying to avoid that milky grey look you get with high gamma and ambient.

absolutely loving the look of it so far! Love what you've done with the crumbleing road (maybe add a few individual cobblestones to give it a more "broken-up" feel.) For the windows, might I suggest trying out the plnt_glass01 texture? It is dirty, grimy, and might be a better fit for the scene