The Dark Mod Forums

Things that could be improved

Berny

if you uninstal the mission then all the files like darkmod txt are cleared.

However the seperate folders for FM's in the doom folder is how Doom handles mods. I don't think that can be fixed until source code is released. (As each FM is it's own 'mod' as far as Doom is concerned I believe)

Regarding the second point:

Yes, I thought already that this would be the reason. And because of that I would like these files being moved during install/uninstall to the fms-subfolder by TDM.

Otherwise you will see 100 folders within the next year piling up there.

Dealing with duplicate pk4 files on top and folders located in different subfolders makes it even more impossible to maintain these manually.

As for the first point:

They are actually located in fms\${mission}, so installing/uninstalling has no effect.

There was one mission I saw an update on and I had to replace the txt files in the fms\${mission}-subfolder manually since there seemed to be no other way to get this done.

I think I recall even dropping the new pk4 file directly into darkmod\fms and letting TDM move it to the ${mission}-folder would not replace them.

Congratulations, because TDM 1.03 on SVN has an indicator for "have I played this mission yet?", an indicator as to how many MB the doom3/[missionname] folder takes up, and an option to delete said doom3/[missionname] folder to save space.

In other words: All done. Courtesy of Greebo. :)

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Cool, looking forward to that!

@gnartsch:(is this a German-related name?)

For now you could create a folder named 'non-used fms' in the 'fms'-folder and move the fm-folders in there that you don´t want to show up in DarkMod. No need to do sth with the folders in the Doom3-folder. That´s what I do atm.

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Mortem Desino, does this mean the mission.pk4 would be gone and my savegames, too ??

Well, I would rather prefer some sort of archiving (move the stuff away, so TDM won't see it anymore).

And reworking the install/uninstall to prevent inconveninces that come in with FM updates, unneccessary files etc.

@gnartsch:(is this a German-related name?)

For now you could create a folder named 'non-used fms' in the 'fms'-folder and move the fm-folders in there that you don´t want to show up in DarkMod. No need to do sth with the folders in the Doom3-folder. That´s what I do atm.

-gnartsch- is a pure phantasie name. I did choose it because is sounds funny.

Yeah, I am moving completed mission to a folder named 'done', but including the folders from the Doom3-folder.

I just can't stand them hanging around there. <_<

And I have some other subfolders for 'new' missions (that are not yet scheduled to be played) or 'sequel' for some missions where I want to wait for sequels to come in.

All this in order to keep the list of 'active' missions as short as possible and being able to recall .

Maybe I am suffering from some maniac desease or something :P

Edited by gnartsch

Having just come across this

Which lead further to this

I just want to say -- since (and looking at the above it does explain why we don't) we don't hear much from him/her out here (at least in the pubs) -- THANKS, GREEBO.

I hope that maybe behind the scenes (in the privies) the Wizard is being kept company as much as needed. There are obviously a lot of valuable team members and community members as well contributing scads in many ways, but, geez, a lot of stuff is being fixed up and improved and much of it "Beneath, Between & Behind" the scenes.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

I almost opened a whole thread but (exactly) thought that it would be better here where it might give us all a chance to "mitigate" and appreciate a bit (plus it It wouldn't come off as quite so kiss ass as opening a whole thread).

BTW, funnily enough, Sneaksie, I think it was the other day I was going to try and (counterpoint) say something in defense of the right to complain and nudge and noodge a bit as well... I'd seen your(?) statement about ~"alls we hear are bitchingses and whingingses and, what's more, no offers of assistances"~ but didn't get to it quick enough... because then came the "change the entire voice set for character #3" thing.

Which made me laugh.

And, also, I was disarmed.

:laugh:

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Well I really like the combat system. It is just much more advanced than Thief's ever was. You may be tempted to just turn on auto-perry, but do give it a shot without this feature enabled. It is more fun when you have to watch the guy and use the appropriate block maneuver. Those cheap tactics we all used, like circle strafing and pummeling guards in T1/2 ain't gonna work here. In T1/2, once you knew this exploit, you could easily fight off 3 guys by constantly circling around them.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Well I really like the combat system. It is just much more advanced than Thief's ever was. You may be tempted to just turn on auto-perry, but do give it a shot without this feature enabled. It is more fun when you have to watch the guy and use the appropriate block maneuver. Those cheap tactics we all used, like circle strafing and pummeling guards in T1/2 ain't gonna work here. In T1/2, once you knew this exploit, you could easily fight off 3 guys by constantly circling around them.

-Yep. The fighting system is good. It really seems that some great minds have been thinking about these features.:wub:

I've trained myself with combat so it is getting too easy for me. Good thing I can soon move on and turn auto-parry off. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get my ass handed to me in a kebab plate when I do this transition. But that's what is bound to happen if you fight a longsword wielding guard with a shortsword..

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Combat is much easier than I once thought if you simply aim for the head. Of course, this doesn't work so well with helmeted opponents, but the others tend to go down fast if you just swing at them.

Also, not yet fixed, but

rope arrows seem to be insta-killing weapons. :blink:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

rope arrows seem to be insta-killing weapons.

I can't confirm this. I was testing the other day and they seemed to do the same damage as regular arrows.

Another request:

When in the texture tool, I would like to able to use ctrl-G to align the verts with the grid.

sleep.gif

Works good with patches. However brushes not so well. I wish we could grab verts o a brush and edit them individually instead of the grab two, stretch whole brush thing.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Congratulations, because TDM 1.03 on SVN has an indicator for "have I played this mission yet?", an indicator as to how many MB the doom3/[missionname] folder takes up, and an option to delete said doom3/[missionname] folder to save space.

Why not use hard links? Make the latter two features operate on doom3/darkmod/fms/[missionname] instead.

Edited by Mortal Monkey

Why not use hard links? Make the latter two features operate on doom3/darkmod/fms/[missionname] instead.

What about us poor Windows users? Anyway, I don't think that feature is intended for deleting FMs altogether, but deleting the additional copy to save space once you're done playing it.

Is there any reason why FMs couldn't be stored in a common folder when installed rather than adding a whole copy each time? E.g., say you had a folder called "tdm_fm_current" in the /doom3/ folder and when you choose to install a new FM, it clears out any FM specific files, renames the saves folder to fmname_savegames, then installs the FM you selected. If there's an existing savegames folder prefixed with this FM name then it renames it back to savegames.

One of the plus sides to this (aside from saving a whole lot of space and being nice and tidy) would be that you don't end up with different FMs having different config files if you decide to change a keyboard mapping at some point for example.

Is there a problem with having the .pk4 be named differently to the folder it's being loaded from, or is this just how TDM currently does it and could be changed?

What about us poor Windows users?

Unless you're running Windows 98 or earlier, I fail to see the problem. Incidentally, the minimum requirements for Doom 3 on Windows is Windows 2000.

Anyway, I don't think that feature is intended for deleting FMs altogether, but deleting the additional copy to save space once you're done playing it.

Wouldn't it be great if it didn't take any additional space to begin with? And wouldn't it be nice to be able to free up all the space once you're done with an FM?

Edited by Mortal Monkey

What about us poor Windows users?

It works on Windows, but only if you have NTFS.

What I think *might* work is if the TDM code first tries a softlink (linux), or a hard-link (on windows) and if that fails, copies the file. That way it might save space in most cases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_link

As for the rest, can't answer this.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Thanks, I was aware of NTFS junction points (symbolic links) but didn't realise Windows supported Hard Links as standard now. Hard Links would solve the space issue, but it doesn't change the fact that in 10 years time you could end up with hundreds of redundant FM folders showing up in the main /doom3/ folder.

I really hate to nitpick but would it be possible to prevent the elevator sound to stop when you push the button?

Explanation: You step onto/into the elevator and push the move-button and the metallic swoosh sound starts but halts as if it gets interupted...

(This problem may allready be stated and if so, I appologize)

I don't know if I understand what issue Fieldmedic is talking about. It sounds like he means he starts an elevator, it starts moving fine, the sound starts fine, but then the sound stops on its own while the elevator is still moving (..."as if interrupted", but not interrupted). Is that the problem? I haven't seen an elevator do that. They all work fine for me. It would help if you told us which elevator has this problem, in which FM, or if it's one you made, or where you saw it. And describe exactly the situation or time where the sound stops, but you think the sound should keep going.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

It's a sound issue. The movement part is working, but when sometimes when I press the button the sound stops as in Wolfenstein 3D where there could be only a limited amount of sounds playing simultaneously. It happens in my map Betrayal, and I've also encountered it in Bikerdudes St Alban.

You may induce the error by frob the button several times, but sometimes the sound stops by itself even after one frob.

Edited by Fieldmedic