The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: By The Cookbook

Skaruts

Congratulations on the release! Downloading now!

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

Aand finished!

Not bad for a first map, not at all:
I like that you kept it small, but condensed - it was just the right size for the story you set out to tell, architecture was nicely done, there was a lot of details on the streets and in the structures, secrets were nicely hidden (apart from maybe one or two, which I would not be able to find without cheats, as I wouldn´t even thought looking in those places, not deeming them accessible).

I liked that this time, loot objective was optional, so you weren´t forced to find all of that, and the cookbook was pretty nicely hidden :)

Also the main objective was original - I don´t think there was a mission yet where you had to steal a cookbook :)  

Looking forward to your following maps! :)

• Like 1

Really nice mission! I finished in just under two hours with a total loot of about 6,000 and found all five secrets. Admittedly, one of them was a really lucky frob. Congratulations on the release. It's a really fun mission.

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

It's heartwarming to see people enjoying my mission. 

Thank you, everyone. :) 

17 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

Congratulations on the Release!

This has been added to the mission database:

https://www.thedarkmod.com/missiondetails/?internalName=sk_cooks

Many thanks. :) 

I also had these two screenshots lying around, if you want to add them to the database:

image.thumb.jpeg.e8097193873e534f678fc4ed5472aaaf.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5d497b6c355bdd4dc51aa279b3e0609b.jpeg

Edited by Skaruts
  • Like 2

My FMs: By The Cookbook

2 hours ago, Baal said:

Congratulations on the release!

This is a very nice looking, small mission. I really like the layout of the street and back alleys. Well done.

Exactly!

• Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Awesome mission. Very detailed. When I read it's small and your first FM, I did not expect a beast with verticality, secrets, and optional objectives. Perhaps it's smaller, but the verticality and level of detail make it look bigger. I had lots of fun exploring it and searching for all the secrets.

Thanks!

• Like 3

Question: why this guy is NOT knockable, not having a shoulders/low neck protection?

The-Dark-Modx64-2024-02-03-18-02-16-749.

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

1 hour ago, lowenz said:

Question: why this guy is NOT knockable, not having a shoulders/low neck protection?

The-Dark-Modx64-2024-02-03-18-02-16-749.

You mean that he isn't K.O.-able, or that the blackjack just goes through him? The latter seems to be a bug with some NPC's since at least 2 TDM versions. At least I've experienced it in quite a few missions now.

Edited by chakkman

Both things!

1) BJ doesn't rise

2) I can only kill him

Edited by lowenz
  • Thanks 1

I think it's an issue with v2.11 (dunno if it's also present with v2.12). For example, I noticed it with the first guard (Builder) in Written in Stone (but also in other missions). I couldn't really successfully replicate it every time though, just sometimes.

You blackjack someone, and the blackjack just goes through, without hitting the NPC.

Edited by chakkman

@lowenz @chakkmanit's not a bug, it's a helmet that protects against blackjacking.

From the wiki: blackjacking:

v1.01: Certain heavy-duty helmets make their wearer immune to the blackjack. These can be identified by a face grill and a low back, which protects the base of the neck.

That's why the bj doesn't rise. Though if it still doesn't hit the guard, then that's a bug, I suppose.

I think the game lacks a proper way to inform players about these helmets. The Training Mission doesn't include any guards with protective helmets, so currently the wiki is the only place one could learn about them... 

In my opinion, the "low back" can be deceiving. The guard in the screenshot doesn't have it, and some guards have it but can still be blackjacked.

Edited by Skaruts
  • Like 1

My FMs: By The Cookbook

14 hours ago, Skaruts said:

@lowenz @chakkmanit's not a bug, it's a helmet that protects against blackjacking.

From the wiki: blackjacking:

That's why the bj doesn't rise. Though if it still doesn't hit the guard, then that's a bug, I suppose.

I think the game lacks a proper way to inform players about these helmets. The Training Mission doesn't include any guards with protective helmets, so currently the wiki is the only place one could learn about them... 

In my opinion, the "low back" can be deceiving. The guard in the screenshot doesn't have it, and some guards have it but can still be blackjacked.

Agreed, this should be unified - all the guards with low back should be non-blackjackabble (that´s a moutful :D) so the player could see it from faraway there´s no point in trying.

• Like 1