The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Seeking Lady Leicester, by Grayman (3/21/2023)

Amadeus

31 minutes ago, vorob said:

Thanks for release! Will definetly play it on my current machine. 

Yesterday i was testing my retro hardware and was surprised by 5 fps outdoor :)

It's a laptop from 2009 with C2d CPU clocked at 3000mhz and Geforce 260m (close to 250 desktop). 

p.s. zero gpu load is a bug. In reality it's working hard!

photo_2023-03-22_22-33-23.jpg

Very cool! Try using the image_downSize console variables and lower the Resolution Scale.

Other tweaks here:

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Performance_Tweaks

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

4 hours ago, Heuli said:

I finished the mission just great
great atmosphere.
one question i can go fishing there are delicious fish in the water

I wish. The cooking/crafting DLC will just have to wait for now

5 hours ago, Xolvix said:

Cool, thanks for that. Curious what the fix was but I can confirm it's now looks correct... IF I restart the mission. Loading my savegame made prior to the update shows the bugged-out cabinet after the update, but starting the updated mission from scratch fixes it. Something about how the engine works I guess. No matter, just found it interesting.

So, there was a typo in the model path of that piece of furniture, an additional backslash, but what was really weird is that even with that typo present - "//" - the model still worked perfectly fine for a majority of us. The working theory (which could be wrong, I don't know enough about the engine) is that when loading the FM from an uncompressed format (which we were doing), the engine ignores the "//" typo and the model works correctly. When playing off the compressed version however, the model path fails and you get the black cube. That's the theory anyway. But the important thing is that it's fixed now

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, irg said:

i think this may likely just be me but nonetheless a heads up for anyone else out there with a phobia of fish if you get far enough in this.

Does this phobia extend to missions that require swimming in fish infested water? Do we need to add "fish" to the spiders and undead column of the wiki?

• Like 2

It's been a long time since I enjoyed playing fan mission as much as this one! Great mission, love it!
But I need some help.

Spoiler

I'm stuck in ghost realm. Where can I find Eustace and astralux? I think I've been everywhere.
I have:
-recursive spade
-mimicked heirloom
-dewdrop
-looking glass echo
Where do I use them?
I also have Lady's first and third journal page, can't find second.
I've opend big safe with numeric lock and the other one on the wall, but I don't have a key to box that is inside.

@Piotr D. Thank for playing!

I am not sure how explicit of a hint you are after but here’s a shot:

Spoiler

Eustace can be found in his chambers, which are on the top floor of the manor. While you can’t walk in through the front door, but you might be able to see an alternate entrance from the area where you picked up drew drop.

As for your question regarding the items - see if this starts to fall in place after you find eustace

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

I am having trouble with

Spoiler

the candles do they have to be all the same size.  I arranged them on the plates and lit them but other than the pentagram lighting up I didn't see anything happen??

Fantastic mission thus far it is visually  stunning if this is what 2.11 is WOW!!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, pwl said:

I am having trouble with

Reveal hidden contents

the candles do they have to be all the same size.  I arranged them on the plates and lit them but other than the pentagram lighting up I didn't see anything happen??

Fantastic mission thus far it is visually  stunning if this is what 2.11 is WOW!!

There is a book nearby that might help ;)

3 hours ago, kin said:

Strangely I get decent fps outdoor but my gtx 760 struggles in indoor areas that use volumetric lights (can not be deactivated in the menu with stencil in 2.11)

This may make sense in that the performance impact of the volumetric effect can scale with how much of the effect is filling the screen. We shipped with a “performance mode” but had to setup the entities by hand to do it (so it’s not perfect). If you change the LOD detail settings to “Low” or “Lowest” this will disable certain lights, particles and such that can be very heavy to render. You can try these settings and see if you notice an improvement.

If not sending us some pictures of heavy areas (with spoiler tags please) will be helpful with tuning these “performance modes” in subsequent patches.

Thanks for playing!

3 minutes ago, Woodsie69 said:

I can't pick this up

Hey, thanks for playing, and sorry about this bug. This is something we knew about and thought was fixed (I personally looted the darn thing successfully about thirty times), but it seems there is something funky going on here. Will have to investigate for the 1.00002 patch

I found placing the candles on the correct places very annoying as I had to drop some of them multiple times to get them to be upright. Is there an item rotation key that I don't know off? Also my patch kind of breaks that puzzle so I will upload a hotfix soon...

Edited by wesp5

Fantastic mission, thank you very much.  I played on Expert.  I managed to

Spoiler

take a submarine ride and then found a use for the various nether world items I had collected.

I had a couple of bodies of people I'd knocked out which, when I picked them up and dropped them, behaved like they were falling through water, even though they weren't. Other than that I don't recall any technical issues.  What a ride!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, wesp5 said:

I found placing the candles on the correct places very annoying as I had to drop some of them multiple times to get them to be upright. Is there an item rotation key that I don't know off? Also my patch kind of breaks that puzzle so I will upload a hotfix soon...

Yes - while you a holding a physics object you can hold down what ever button you have bound to parry/manipulate to freely rotate it across all axis with the mouse.

I would not recommend players play this (or any mission) using the unofficial patch.