The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Threepenny Revue

Jnon

Congratulations on the release. It's a neat little level and I had fun testing it.

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

Man, three mission releases in a week?! And in October!? Love it!  Congrats on the release, I'll be looking forward to playing this

• Like 3

Congratulations from me too! But I just replayed the final version and it probably was one of the easiest missions I ever experienced. Because if you visit the tavern early on you now get both keys and the rest of the mission is a walk in the park! Why not have Cartier only appear there after reading the note in the theatre and modifying the latter so it says something along the lines "I will do some business in the town and then take my evening meal in the tavern afterwards." Then the players would be forced to enter the theatre to read the note, exit to the tavern to get the keys and then come back again. I believe it would make the short map more challenging! Oh, and it is intended that the drunk gets up again?

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 2

The Thief's Guild people have put the mission up on their database

The Threepenny Revue

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

23 hours ago, wesp5 said:

Why not have Cartier only appear there after reading the note in the theatre and modifying the latter so it says something along the lines "I will do some business in the town and then take my evening meal in the tavern afterwards." Then the players would be forced to enter the theatre to read the note, exit to the tavern to get the keys and then come back again. I believe it would make the short map more challenging!

I tried not to get too ambitious with my first map. If I can figure out how to flag entities for spawning on triggers, I might work that into a Version 2. In hindsight, putting the tavern beyond the theater so you can't encounter it before reaching the target building might have been wiser, but I think I'll chalk this up to a learning experience for now.

23 hours ago, wesp5 said:

it is intended that the drunk gets up again?

He shouldn't, perhaps I didn't edit his listening acuity spawnarg correctly. I'll have to look into that.

• Like 3

Nice little Mission to play in between in a spare time, but also with enough difficulty to avoid the guards so as not to be boring. Good challenge to enter the theater with the guards in front of the entrances. Much simpler inside, although the guards there were alerted by the lack of the paintings. The rest was quite simple.
Good job for being the first mission, congratulations 🏆

• Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

For future reference. In UK English. Threepenny is pronounced Throoppenny. Wierd I know. 

• Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

On 10/5/2023 at 6:17 AM, Cambridge Spy said:

Here's my playthrough video of the Threepenny Revue:

Nice walkthrough, i made it in Hard mode, entering in the sitedoor, which i think is somewhat more tricky than with the Ropearrow (not disp. in the Hard mode), Without KO nearly impossible, at least for me. I made it with 782 loot and 0 stealth. Inside is easy, normal stealth level, also~20 min.

In the Bar no stealth needed, at least when you don't rob the coins of the card player, they don't like it with the lights on. Also don't try to frob the Key for the Main entrance, not healthy with a Guard with torch, who turns in a half second without the key.

Edited by Zerg Rush

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

Congratulations on your first FM! Not bad for a first one: It was simple and a little rough in places, but played very well and did what it intended to. I'd definitely like to see a continuation and what happens next after the events here.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2023 at 12:34 PM, NeonsStyle said:

For future reference. In UK English. Threepenny is pronounced Throoppenny. Wierd I know. 

Whereabouts, in Yorkshire perhaps?  I have lived in England all my life, mainly the east midlands, the north west and the south east, and everyone I know pronounces threepenny as threppenny, the double e being pronounced as a short e rather than a long e.  The UK has many accents for a relatively small place, so the pronounciation you suggest may exist, but is not the most common one.

Edited by Marbrien
  • Like 1

Throopenny is the pronunciation in UK English and Australian. It's probably evolved today
into the simpler three penny. 

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

On 10/8/2023 at 9:36 AM, MirceaKitsune said:

Congratulations on your first FM! Not bad for a first one: It was simple and a little rough in places, but played very well and did what it intended to. I'd definitely like to see a continuation and what happens next after the events here.

Thank you! It was definitely a learning experience. I have some ideas for a second FM that loosely carries on from the end of this one, so you may get your wish.

• Like 1

I am definitely looking forward to more missions from you.

• Like 1

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

Good work! I enjoy short missions because things are nice and focused - you get in, you get out. Also I tend to do better with the loot amounts and I was able to get all the loot without too much trouble, which is rare for me.

If I were to make a suggestion though - I found the intro briefing sequence a bit distracting because it was so obvious the narration was pitch-shifted to make a deeper voice. If you felt the original voice wasn't deep enough for your needs, I would either get someone on the forums to record it for you or just leave as is. That's my only real complaint and it's not even about the mission itself, so pretty good first start!

• Like 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

On 10/27/2023 at 10:08 AM, Xolvix said:

Good work! I enjoy short missions because things are nice and focused - you get in, you get out. Also I tend to do better with the loot amounts and I was able to get all the loot without too much trouble, which is rare for me.

As a player, I've always felt the best missions are ones oriented around the "heist", where the location is clearly defined, the map and information is provided, and the player is tasked with finding a way in, getting the objective, and getting out. Some variety is always good, and experimenting with the format is fine, but that has always been the meat and potatoes of the Immersive Sim/Thief-like genre to me. Glad you enjoyed it.

• Like 2