The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Seeking Lady Leicester, by Grayman (3/21/2023)

Amadeus

Spent some time on the mission! Wandered around the city, studying it for some time.

Spoiler

Just transferred myself to another dimension, took some time to get there cause despite i almost immediately entered the mansion, i missed the opening bookshelf :)

Found another duplicated asset that produce flickering.  It's under the table.

I also found the source of "lines" artifacts. It's ambient occlusion. When it's enabled i see some black lines. That's weird. Also bloom makes whole level filled with it. Is that normal?

p.s. looks like heavily compressed yt video just hide the artifacts. What a fail...

The Dark Mod 2.11_64 14.04.2023 23_51_12.jpg

Edited by vorob
  • Like 1

S.L.L.: ... what a ride!

Still I did not;

Spoiler

Find the darned combo to the BIG safe in the Astral-plane... its probably in some book or note I missed or skipped reading; any hints?

Also...

Spoiler

So the well burns everything in eternal flame....Uhm I'm "helping" the Lady but not quite sure that was what she'd want...Oh whelp.😬

Yeah, chock-full-o-loot and still probably secrets left - poast moar!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Melchior said:

Still I did not;

Reveal hidden contents

Find the darned combo to the BIG safe in the Astral-plane... its probably in some book or note I missed or skipped reading; any hints?

Spoiler

“Wilson” the bank teller may be able to tell you how to open the safe if you ask him nicely. He is hanging out in the area with the floating bed where you find the duplicated dew drop

If you are there and still having trouble:

Spoiler

Try looking down

1 hour ago, Melchior said:

Also...

Reveal hidden contents

So the well burns everything in eternal flame....Uhm I'm "helping" the Lady but not quite sure that was what she'd want...Oh whelp.😬

Spoiler

While there may be ghosts, zombies, werewolves, etc in TDM - doesn’t seem right there should be some kind of comfortable or definitive answer to what comes “after”. Still hard to imagine it wherever or whatever it is it wouldn’t be preferable.

Thanks for playing!

• Like 1

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

Alright, Seeking Lady Leicester: Gold... I mean, Version 2 is up. This features new voice lines, some quality-of-life fixes, as well as some obscure bug fixes. For this update it would be best to delete the FM entirely and then redownload it from the in-game downloader or the Google Drive/Onedrive links. But as always, if you are in the middle of a playthrough, you don't need to update this FM if you don't want to. This will likely be the last update to the FM for a good long while.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Alright, Seeking Lady Leicester: Gold... I mean, Version 2 is up. This features new voice lines, some quality-of-life fixes, as well as some obscure bug fixes. 

Now I'm kind of glad I didn't finish it yet. :) Thanks for your work to make this even better.

• Thanks 1

Version 2 is now in the Mission Database.

As previously stated, the updater only knows when a version number goes up by a whole number

so chances are the mission downloader won't signal you to update the mission.

You will need to delete it from darkmod/fms ( or whatever_your_tdm_folder_is_named/fms ) and download it again.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

On 4/14/2023 at 11:25 PM, Melchior said:

S.L.L.: ... what a ride!

Still I did not;

Hide contents

I brute forced it

Spoiler

start from zero

Lol, i missed brother room at the attic, but found it during my voyage in "other world". Now i'm replaying the mission (v2) and found it in normal world. Found the room and his angry letters :) These are the small things i always loved in Thief. No matter how much you've platyed you always find smth new.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/17/2023 at 2:47 AM, nbohr1more said:

Version 2 is now in the Mission Database.

As previously stated, the updater only knows when a version number goes up by a whole number

so chances are the mission downloader won't signal you to update the mission.

You will need to delete it from darkmod/fms ( or whatever_your_tdm_folder_is_named/fms ) and download it again.

This is a little messed up, isn't it? Many players might never get to know a new version is available. If this was a known issue or limitation, how come this path was chosen? Previous updates worked just fine.

TDM Modpack 4.0

There were players who complained that the version number shown on the website did not match the version number shown in the mission package.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

3 hours ago, snatcher said:

This is a little messed up, isn't it? Many players might never get to know a new version is available. If this was a known issue or limitation, how come this path was chosen? Previous updates worked just fine.

I didn't even know that TDM automatically updated the version number like that, but to call the multiple patches we've done on this "Verison 6" just isn't right. And it is certainly not in line with how other authors have updated their FMs in the past (i.e., 1.1, 1.2, 1.3., etc.) So yeah, we are just calling this version 2.

6 minutes ago, snatcher said:

The point is that a number of players will be unknowingly stuck on a previous version for who knows how long but it's been acknowledged and assumed already, it seems.

Hence why I mentioned the update in this thread. In addition, that is why there is an asterisk in the mission downloader that indicates whether an update to an FM is available

• Thanks 1

That mission made for an enjoyable evening, though I'm annoyed I lost track of

Spoiler

the ship in the otherworld and only realized I hadn't come back to it when I finished the level and a large amount of loot was missing. I could have sworn I'd scoured EVERYTHING, yet there was an entire quarter of the otherworld area I'd missed.

I did have a pretty serious issue where the

Spoiler

hint for how to open the big safe

was completely unfrobbable. No matter what angle or state of the box it was in, it was impossible to get. I eventually had to turn on noclip and jam my head into the box while it was closed, and even then it took many tries before it finally let me pick it up.

Really amazing work, though! After playing many dozens of missions, I'm always amazed how people manage to keep coming up with new surprises.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jehauri said:

That mission made for an enjoyable evening, though I'm annoyed I lost track of

Hide contents

the ship in the otherworld and only realized I hadn't come back to it when I finished the level and a large amount of loot was missing. I could have sworn I'd scoured EVERYTHING, yet there was an entire quarter of the otherworld area I'd missed.

TBH, I found it a bit confusing to navigate as well.

Sorry if this is a bit late or it's been fixed, my memory is atrocious these days

On the way to the beggar there's a courtyard with an accessible roof section (pictured)

There's a generator with a climbable pipe & a spikey guard rail (centre of image)

So naturally I climbed the pipe to get over the rail, jumped off the pipe & ended up inside the roof to the right

This is on the original release version of the mission

Feel free to delete this once it's been seen I'm conscious space is an issue with image storage

seeking.jpg

Edited by esme

Excellent mission.  Everything fitted together, and there was a logic to the main plot and the important items that had to be located.  And - as it should be - there was extra loot to be found for the more OCD among us.

I did twice have to look at this thread when I got stuck, but that was on me.  Had I spent longer I might have solved it without the hints.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great mission, all.  Great honor to Grayman.

Quick tip ... 

Spoiler

To do the "poofing ghost bodies" correctly to let the Lady move on to a better place, you need to stand on the platform or floor where they were to look at the bodies.  If you were like me, you might have "killed" some spirits and dragged their bodies over the edge to hide them.  No amount of noclip would trigger the poof.  When I stood on the floor where I killed the ghost, then the poof happened.

Thanks!

Clint

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2023 at 6:38 AM, kin said:

Strangely I get decent fps outdoor but my gtx 760 struggles in indoor areas that use volumetric lights (can not be deactivated in the menu with stencil in 2.11)

I know this was a while ago, but have you tried typing in the console

r_volumetricEnable 0

Not sure if that CVAR is in there or not.

Also, to reduce the performance hit try.

r_volumetricSamples 8 (or lower)

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2023 at 8:10 PM, AluminumHaste said:

I know this was a while ago, but have you tried typing in the console

r_volumetricEnable 0

Not sure if that CVAR is in there or not.

Also, to reduce the performance hit try.

r_volumetricSamples 8 (or lower)

Thanks for the help I will keep this piece of usefull information for the future because I have updated my GPU to rtx3060 and now I got everything maxed out without issues. Sometimes updating a card is the only way to go. I had the gtx760 for 8 years, enough is enough.