The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: By The Cookbook

Skaruts

No, for me the BL hits but I was expecting to knock down the NPC not seeing a protection around the shoulders and the low neck 😛

Bu if that helmet protects by itself from being knocked why there's a shoulders protection in other cases?

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

57 minutes ago, Skaruts said:

It very much is. I've been goofing around in DR for a decade, on and off, and about two years ago I said to myself "that's it, I'm gonna actually make a mission for once". (And then about a year ago I started making this one.)

Thank you for sharing this. People need to hear more stories like that, since designing stealth levels is probably one of the hardest things to do, and it's easy to get burned out and drop it.

• Like 3

On 2/3/2024 at 6:15 AM, Tarhiel said:

Also the main objective was original - I don´t think there was a mission yet where you had to steal a cookbook :)

Not a cookbook, but a recipe book: https://www.thedarkmod.com/missiondetails/?internalName=bakery_job

Very nice mission, thank you, Skaruts.

• Like 3

I just finished this FM and it was fantastic! It was short, sweet, and heavy on the details and atmosphere. I loved the amount of fine detail work you put into all of the individual buildings making up the alleyways as well as the interiors, which all felt lived-in and authentic. I'm short one secret, but I'm sure I'll find it on my Expert playthrough. Anyway, fantastic work;! Looking forward to your next one :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Skaruts said:

If I told you, I'd have to kill you. :D

I actually wanted to make that book readable, and have some kind of interesting recipes in there, but I just couldn't think of anything... If I ever think of something, I'll do that.

Is that so? Well then, it takes more than one shot to kill a Bull Moose!

I do have ideas on what the recipe could have actually been, if you and anybody else wants to know, here it is in spoiler:

Spoiler

To make it already obviously creepy, I would mention cannibalism.
Now to make this better in context, I have read a book from Bert and apparently he has no qualms in killing his wife. What the fuck?! Well then, maybe one day an accident happened and she lost something, maybe a lot of blood or one of her fingers, and that was when Bert realized human flesh tastes great with his cooking.
Yes, it's too far fetched, but perhaps it can give an idea even though it's becoming cliche these days.

Another is that it is indeed magical, but in one of my favourite ways; British.
What? He cooks British people?! Yeah right!
Worchestershire Sauce, just that, simple.
Not lore friendly but I suppose you can change British to whatever it is the equivalent in TDM itself, Worchestershire Sauce can be anything else as long as it has a just-as-hard-to-pronounce name ;)

I always loved when missions have a climax and then you finally read it, you finally know it.
You know what they say; curiosity killed the cat...And satisfaction brought it back.
I will never NOT play a mission's sidequest.

Also I'm glad to know you're very eager for TDM mission making, wonder what you have on the works, no doubt it will be as great as this one and that is much to say knowing that, again, it's your first mission!

• Like 1

I like to imagine that Tasteless Bert is at least acquainted with the guy in The Black Mage with the ... unique... taste in cakes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

@The Black Arrow

Spoiler

Bert only mentions he might have to do something about her, not that he was ever capable of killing her. For all we know, he could just throw a temper tantrum until he had it his way, or end the marriage through legal means. His wife has a certain degree of authority in the house, which got him to accept having a beggar in the attic, so he's not entirely in control.

I guess it's unknown what he would do, but as far as my own vision goes, I never imagined him the type to murder anyone or to even do anything risky or brave. He wouldn't even be using some "ancient wisdom" in his cooking, if he thought the risk was too high. In fact the only reason this mission exists is because he became greedy. He couldn't just be content with moderately improving his cooking enough to not attract attention and raise suspicions.

His connections to lowlifes only come from running the Inn, rather than any involvement on any crimes (which isn't mentioned in the readables). He has zero interest in them beyond their patronage at the inn or as discardable lackeys. I think it's safe to assume from his delusions of grandeur that he views them with contempt, as he does beggars.

And by the way, what "ancient wisdom" actually means is a mystery, and it's the reason why I couldn't come up with anything for a recipe. It could mean some magical incantation, but it could also mean some ancient way of cooking that he learned. 

I'm afraid that in demystifying that I might ruin it. I might come up with something that ended up feeling underwhelming and uninteresting. :)  

Edited by Skaruts

My FMs: By The Cookbook

The mission doesn't keep going but I kept going and found more stuff. And I kept going and found more stuff. And I kept going and found more stuff...

By The Cookbook is The Bakery Job on steroids. Probably the best mission among the very small, simple, humble missions in the TDM catalogue.

Congratulations, @Skaruts. Very well done.

• Like 4

TDM Modpack 4.0

On 2/4/2024 at 4:33 PM, chakkman said:

It's not that. In some occasions, the blackjack simply went through the NPC without doing anything. No hit, no sound, nothing. It's as if you're sriking through air. 

That said, I don't know if that happened to @lowenz here.

I got that with two guys

Spoiler

playing cards in an upstairs room above a hungry beggar, finding the room counts as a secret, neither could be BJ'd even after a restart ... they could be gassed though 😈, the beggar was unappreciative of their food 🙁

I updated the mission to version 2. No major changes, but quite a few bug fixes, adjustments and stuff.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/bg9crjsa020z9wg/sk_cooks.pk4/file

@nbohr1more I presume you're the one I should notify to update the mission database?

Edited by Skaruts
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Skaruts said:

I updated the mission to version 2. No major changes, but quite a few bug fixes, adjustments and stuff.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/bg9crjsa020z9wg/sk_cooks.pk4/file

@nbohr1more I presume you're the one I should notify to update the mission database?

The mission database has been updated.

Thank you!

• Thanks 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

quite a nice little mission! straightforward main objective, with multiple paths to accomplish it and room to explore around it :) a good-looking depiction of a run-down area, too

there is one location I'm having trouble with: Bert mentions two places to keep loot but I can't find a way to access the one 

Spoiler

adjacent to the open sewer beneath the house

• Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 5:39 AM, hightide said:

there is one location I'm having trouble with: Bert mentions two places to keep loot but I can't find a way to access the one 

Spoiler

Inspect the poop chute in the ceiling. You'll find a button there. 

Thank you. :) 

Edited by Skaruts

On 2/6/2024 at 7:03 AM, Skaruts said:

It very much is. I've been goofing around in DR for a decade, on and off, and about two years ago I said to myself "that's it, I'm gonna actually make a mission for once". (And then about a year ago I started making this one.)

So yea, my drive to do this hasn't dwindled, it has only gotten stronger. I've always loved making maps for games, and I still very much do. :)

If I told you, I'd have to kill you. :D 

I actually wanted to make that book readable, and have some kind of interesting recipes in there, but I just couldn't think of anything... If I ever think of something, I'll do that.

actualy i hoped for that, like all kind off ingriedients luring out off the garden and the cellars

a good pancake needs beer !!

btw i had 2 "stuck" places, but i dont know what version i just played.

and gosthing is rather hard, had 2 searches

Edited by CrisiusXIII
  • Like 1

Fun mission, took me around an hour to do. Multiple points of entry was really nice! Only issue I had was

Spoiler

when you enter from the backyard of Bett's house, you fall onto a trapdoor leading to the cellar of the house. Now naturally you open the trapdoor, and enter, immediately triggering the goons in the cellar. Maybe this could be improved?

But otherwise, great first mission!

• Like 1

Excellent little mission! Good design, aesthetically pleasing, good use of vertical space (any mission with rope arrows is +1 in my book). I only got 2 of the secrets - had to cheat to find the others (pretty fiendish, but secrets should be fiendish!).

Good work, I'm looking forward to more!

• Like 1