The Dark Mod Forums

Post your System Configuration here

Just now, revelator said:

probably more added but as i remember doom3 did not even support com_fixedtic atleast it did nothing in the code before

you're wrong. this command has helped me and a lot of players a lot. it was enough to write to autoexec. cfg

seta com_fixedTic "1"

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

been a while since i toyed with the source code but yeah it did do something in the past as well but maybe not what you would expect. The problem with it in stock doom3 was that even though it removed

How high should I start? 😀 Thanks, mate. This is the biggest purchase of my life since I graduated and started working. It was my child's dream to own a high end gaming PC. Now owning it, I can

Posting my reasonably old workstation specs here: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 core) 16GB RAM Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cayman PRO [Radeon HD 6950]

Posted Images

Um... com_fixedTic is available in the menu under Video -> Advanced -> Uncapped FPS. Furthermore, the default value is in fact 0. There is no need for a custom file to change this setting, and it's not going anywhere :)

• Like 2
5 hours ago, cabalistic said:

Um... com_fixedTic is available in the menu under Video -> Advanced -> Uncapped FPS. Furthermore, the default value is in fact 0. There is no need for a custom file to change this setting, and it's not going anywhere :)

He's trolling.

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

5 hours ago, Gadavre said:

you're wrong. this command has helped me and a lot of players a lot. it was enough to write to autoexec. cfg

seta com_fixedTic "1"

It's not a "command", it's a VARIABLE.

You know nothing about ID3Tech engine, LOL, Mr "I am an experienced tester"

Are you a friend of Shadowhide? 😛

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

been a while since i toyed with the source code but yeah it did do something in the past as well but maybe not what you would expect. The problem with it in stock doom3 was that even though it removed microstutter it also caused things to go out of sync, sound etc... also it made the game run way to fast as the original code was built around a capped tic of 62.5 (old quake 3 limit actually). This caused the game to actually run at 59 fps and not 60 which many people noticed after mucking about with this variable. In fact even after setting com_fixedtic if you used a framerate limiter to limit it to 60 fps with com_fixedtic on it would cause microstutter if you lowered it one frame more to 59 :).

The code was fixed in darkmod and i been working on getting it ported back to doom3 but im mostly retired these days so it is slow going.

• Like 3

Used to have an old Asus with a Phenom II and a Radeon HD6950 and 8GB RAM on some old 60Hz monitor

Now I'm running a Legion5 with a Ryzen7 3700X and a GeForce GTX 1660 Super and 16GB RAM on a curved 144Hz monitor

It's really nothing special by today's standards but all I've wanted to play the past ten years was TDM so I can thankfully crank shit up without slowdowns and running around my WIP actually got me randy. Felt like a brand new game! (new S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Anomaly 1.5.1 with some new modpacks was super sexy too) Now I can let my kid destroy the old PC with Roblox all he wants and I don't have to worry about losing my precious work.

Oh, and DR runs soooo much better too, I expect my mapping workflow to dramatically speed up, so maybe after six months of radio silence on my beta, I can finally have something to show.

• Like 1

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

Still rocking my GTX 970. It's old but it certain has legs, and for the stuff I play it's normally quite good since I'm still on 1080p. The only game that's been able to brutalize it even on low settings has been Cyberpunk 2077, but my enthusiasm for that game has gone a bit timid at the moment so it doesn't bother me that much. I will eventually upgrade, but this isn't a good time for such purchases. I just hope it doesn't blow up and I need to purchase something quickly to replace it (knock on wood).

That being said, I still run TDM using stencil shadows with no soft shadowing because things will start slowing down if I bump it up. But if I'm honest, the other reason I don't bother with soft shadows is because I can't for the life of me decide whether to use stencil or shadow maps! Stencil + hard shadows is classic Doom 3 which I like. If I'm gonna move to soft shadows though, I may end up waiting until the TDM devs decide which shadowing tech they want to solely rely on.

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

On 3/26/2021 at 10:56 PM, cabalistic said:

sorry. I made a mistake. the game goes without stuttering, if i set the value like this:

com_fixedTic 1

value of 0 always gives a stuttering, frieze, regardless of the set fps limit. in my mashine

Edited by Gadavre
  • 2 months later...